Today’s U.S. economic calendar is extremely light and is unlikely to distract investors from this week’s main highlight: Wednesday’s monthly meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee, after which investors hope the FOMC will provide some clarity on its stimulus policy for the remainder of the year. Economic reports in the cards for today include the Empire State Survey, which is due at 8:30 a.m. EDT and is expected to record a rise to 0.9 in June, up from -1.4 in May. The Empire State Survey measures manufacturing activity in the New York area. Next, at 10 a.m. EDT, the Home Builders’ Index for June is expected to have risen to 45, up marginally from 44 in May.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Blackhawk Network Holdings Inc (HAWK)
Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc., incorporated on January 27, 2006, is a prepaid payment network utilizing technology to offer a range of gift cards, other prepaid products and payment services in the United States and 18 other countries. The Company is a third-party distributor of gift. Its product offerings include gift cards, prepaid telecom products and prepaid financial services products (including general purpose reloadable (GPR), cards and its reload network). In addition, it sells physical and electronic gift cards to consumers through both online distributors and its Website, GiftCardMall.com. It offers gift cards from consumer brands, such as Amazon.com, Applebeeâ€™s, iTunes, Loweâ€™s, Macyâ€™s and Starbucks and from payment networks, such as American Express, MasterCard and Visa. In addition, it distributes GPR, cards provided by Green Dot and NetSpend, as well as PayPower, its own GPR card. REloadit, its reload network, allows consumers to reload funds onto certain of their previously purchased GPR cards. In November 2013, Blackhawk Network Holdings Inc completed the acquisition of InteliSpend Prepaid Solutions. Effective December 2013, Blackhawk Network Holdings Inc, a unit of Safeway Inc, acquired Retailo AG.
The Company also offers prepaid solutions, including functionality and connectivity for digital wallet products within digital payments space, as well as an online gift card exchange called Cardpool. The Companyâ€™s extensive prepaid network provides benefits to its three primary constituents: consumers who purchase the products and services it offers, content providers who offer branded gift cards and other prepaid products that are redeemable for goods and services, and distribution partners who sell those products. Its extensive network connects to more than 500 content providers and over 100,000 active retail distribution locations, providing access to over 160 million consumer visits per week. For consumers, the Company provides a variety of brands and content at retail distribution locations and online. For its content providers, it provides access to millions of consumers and creates new customer relationships. For its distribution partners, it provides product category that drives incremental store traffic and customer loyalty. It also distributes prepaid telecom products offered by prepaid wireless telecom brands. The Company distributes its products across multiple traffic channels, such as grocery, convenience, specialty and online retailers.
- [By Bloomberg]Matthew Staver/Bloomberg via Getty Images Cerberus Capital Management’s $9 billion deal to merge Safeway (SWY) with Albertsons is a bet that a larger supermarket chain can better fend off an attack on the grocery business by big-box stores and online retailers. Safeway, the No. 2 grocery-store operator in the U.S., agreed Thursday to be acquired by Cerberus’s Albertsons for about $40 a share. The deal will unite two chains with locations across the country — especially in the West — and narrow Kroger’s (KR) lead as the nation’s top supermarket company. Cerberus, a private-equity firm that has spent years investing in the supermarket industry, will use the new company’s heft to combat a growing array of threats. Big-box retailers such as Walmart Stores (WMT) and warehouse clubs are increasingly targeting grocery customers, using their size and breadth of products to attract shoppers. Online food sellers and delivery services, including Amazon.com (AMZN), also have made neighborhood supermarkets less essential than before. “This merger will improve our competitive position,” Safeway Chief Executive Officer Robert Edwards, who will be in charge of the combined company, said Thursday on a conference call. “Our customers will benefit from significant cost saving synergies and a stronger management team.” Safeway shares fell as much as 6.3 percent to $37 in extended trading, reflecting concerns the deal may not close at the current price. The shares had increased 21 percent this year through the close of regular trading Thursday, outpacing the 1.6 percent gain of the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index. Blackhawk Network As part of the agreement, investors will get $32.50 a share in cash, plus stock in Safeway’s gift-card unit Blackhawk Network Holdings (HAWK), according to a statement Thursday. Safeway, based in Pleasanton, Calif., had said last month that it was in talks about a sale of the company. Assuming a diluted share count of about 235 million shares,
- [By Andrew Marder]More recently, the company IPO’d its gift-card business last week as Blackhawk Network Holdings (NASDAQ: HAWK ) . Safeway sold off about 22% of its holding, generating $243 million in cash, which the company used to repay some of its debt. That will be reflected in the next earnings statement.
- [By Monica Gerson]Blackhawk Network Holdings (NASDAQ: HAWK) is estimated to report its Q3 earnings at $0.05 per share on revenue of $210.94 million.
E2open (NASDAQ: EOPN) is projected to post a Q2 loss at $0.15 per share on revenue of $17.23 million.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Fuwei Films(Holdings)
Fuwei Films (Holdings) Co., Ltd., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the development, manufacture, distribution, and export of plastic film using the biaxially-oriented stretch technique in China. The company offers its biaxially oriented polyethylene terephthalate (BOPET) film under the ?Fuwei Films? brand name primarily for use in flexible packaging, printing, laminating, and aluminum-plating applications, as well as in electrical and electronic uses. Its products include printing base film used in printing and lamination applications; stamping foil base film and transfer base films used for the packaging of luxury items, such as cigarettes and alcohol; metallization film or aluminum plating base film used for vacuum aluminum plating for flexible plastic lamination; high-gloss film used for aesthetically enhanced packaging purposes; and heat-sealable film used for construction, printing, and heat sealable bags making. The company?s products also comprise laser holographic base film used as anti-counterfeit film for food, medicine, cosmetics, cigarettes, and alcohol packaging; dry film used in circuit boards production, and for nameplate and crafts etching; and heat shrinkage film used for special-shaped packaging for alcohol, cans, mineral water, and cleaning products. It exports its products to packaging customers and distributors primarily in Europe, Asia, and North America. The company was founded in 2003 and is headquartered in Weifang, China. As of May 1, 2011, Fuwei Films (Holdings) Co., Ltd. operates as a subsidiary of Weifang State-owned Assets Operation Administration Company.
- [By Adam Haigh]Among stocks that fell, Yue Yuen Industrial (Holdings) Ltd. (551), a supplier of shoes to Nike Inc. and Adidas AG, sank 12 percent to HK$23.80. The company said its first-quarter results showed a â€œsignificant downturnâ€ compared with a year earlier and this could adversely affect interim performance.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Prestige Brand Holdings Inc.(PBH)
Prestige Brands Holdings, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in marketing, selling, and distributing over-the-counter healthcare and household cleaning products primarily in North America. The company?s Over-The-Counter Healthcare segment offers a portfolio of OTC products under nine core OTC brands, including Chloraseptic sore throat remedies, Clear Eyes eye drops, Compound W wart removers, Dramamine motion sickness products, Efferdent and Effergrip denture products, Little Remedies pediatric healthcare products, Luden’s cough drops, PediaCare pediatric healthcare products, and The Doctor?s brand of oral care products. This segment also provides other significant brands that include Dermoplast first-aid products, Murine eye and ear care products, NasalCrom allergy relief product, New-Skin liquid bandage, and Wartner wart removers. Its Household Cleaning segment markets household cleaning products, such as abrasive and non-abrasive tub and tile cleaner, scrubb ing pads and sponges, dilutables, anti-bacterial hard surface spray for counter tops, and glass cleaners under the Comet, Chore Boy, and Spic and Span brands. Prestige Brands Holdings distributes its products through various retail channels, including drug, food, dollar, and club stores, as well as supermarkets and mass merchandisers. The company was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Irvington, New York.
- [By Sean Williams]What: Shares of Prestige Brands (NYSE: PBH ) , a marketer of over-the-counter health care and household cleaning products, jumped as much as 14% after it announced the acquisition of Australia’s Care Pharmaceuticals.
- [By Eric Volkman]Prestige Brands (NYSE: PBH ) is reaching to the other side of the world for its latest acquisition. The company announced that it has purchased the privately held Care Pharmaceuticals, based in New South Wales, Australia. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, although Prestige Brands did admit that it would be funded by monies drawn from an existing credit facility combined with cash on hand.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on Prestige Brands Holdings (NYSE: PBH ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Castor believes the cash has disappeared into working capital, which has grown from 23% to more than 50% since 2008. Comparable company PrestigeÂ Brand (PBH) uses 11%; UnileverÂ (UL) and Colgate-PalmoliveÂ (CL) far less.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Open Text Corporation (OTEX)
Open Text Corporation develops, markets, sells, licenses, and supports enterprise content management (ECM) solutions primarily in North America and Europe. The company?s ECM software and solutions enable customers to manage various types of enterprise content, including business documents, Web content, records, digital assets, email, forms and reports, forums, blogs, wikis, and real time instant messaging and collaboration. Its ECM solutions comprise various components, including document management, which provides repository for business documents, such as Microsoft office, CAD, and PDF; collaboration that offers tools designed to better facilitate people working with each other with content and processes; Web content management, which provides tools for authoring, maintaining, and administering sophisticated Web sites; and records management that enables control of the lifecycle of content objects by associating robust retention and disposition rules with each content as set. The company?s ECM solutions also provide email management services designed to enable the archiving, control, and monitoring of email; capture and delivery tools that provide the means of converting documents from analog sources; digital asset management; business process management services; content reporting tools for analyzing content and generating reports; and Open Text Everywhere that allows the Open Text ECM suite to be available via mobile devices. In addition, it offers industry specific solutions for government, technology/manufacturing, energy, financial services, pharmaceutical and life sciences, legal, and media sectors. Additionally, the company provides learning, consulting, hosting, and customer support and training services. It has strategic alliances with Microsoft Corporation, Oracle Corporation, and SAP AG. The company was founded in 1991 and is headquartered in Waterloo, Canada.
- [By Jake L’Ecuyer]Shares of Open Text (NASDAQ: OTEX) got a boost, shooting up 11.95 percent to $101.45 after the company reported upbeat Q2 results and announced a 2-for-1 stock split.
- [By Jake L’Ecuyer]Shares of Open Text (NASDAQ: OTEX) got a boost, shooting up 12.23percent to $101.70 after the company reported upbeat Q2 results and announced a 2-for-1 stock split.
- [By Lisa Levin]Open Text (NASDAQ: OTEX) shares touched a new 52-week high of $103.41 after the company reported upbeat Q2 results and announced a 2-for-1 stock split.
- [By Seth Jayson]OpenText (Nasdaq: OTEX ) is expected to report Q3 earnings on April 24. Here’s what Wall Street wants to see:
The 10-second takeaway
Comparing the upcoming quarter to the prior-year quarter, average analyst estimates predict OpenText’s revenues will grow 18.1% and EPS will grow 28.7%.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Esterline Technologies Corp (ESL)
Esterline Technologies Corporation (Esterline) is a manufacturing company serving aerospace and defense customers. The Company designs, manufactures and markets engineered products and systems. It operates in three segments: Avionics & Controls, Sensors & Systems, and Advanced Materials, including thermally engineered components and specialized elastomers and other complex materials, for aerospace and defense markets. Its products are mission-critical equipment, which have been designed into particular military and commercial platforms. It has divested non-core businesses operating as Pressure Systems, Inc., Muirhead Aerospace and Traxsys Input Products Limited. In July 2011, the Company acquired Souriau Group. In December 2013, the Company announced that it has completed acquisition of Joslyn Sunbank Company, LLC, a unit of Meggitt PLC.
Avionics & Controls
The Companyâ€™s Avionics & Controls business segment includes avionics systems, control systems, interface technologies and communication systems capabilities. Avionics systems designs and develops cockpit systems integration and avionics subsystems for commercial and military applications. Control systems designs and manufactures technology interface systems for military and commercial aircraft and land- and sea-based military vehicles. Interface technologies manufactures and develops custom control panels and input systems for medical, industrial, military and casino gaming industries. Communication systems designs and manufactures military audio and data products for severe battlefield environments. In addition, communication systems designs and manufactures secure voice and data switching systems for military airborne, ground-based, and shipboard applications. It is engaged in positioning systems (GPS), head-up displays, enhanced vision systems, and electronic flight management systems that are used in a range of control and display applications. In addition, it develops, manufactures and markets technology interface systems for commercial and military aircraft. These products include lighted push-button and rotary switches, keyboards, lighted indicators, panels and displays. Its products have been integrated into aircraft designs, including Boeing commercial aircraft platform in production. It manufactures control sticks, grips and wheels, as well as specialized switching systems. In this area, it serves commercial and military aviation, and airborne and ground-based military equipment manufacturing customers.
The Companyâ€™s products are incorporated in a range of platforms ranging from military helicopters, fighters and transports, to commercial wide- and narrow-body, regional and business jets. During fiscal year ended October 29, 2010 (fiscal 2010), its customers for these products included BAE Systems, The Boeing Company, Canadian Commercial Corp., Hawker Beechcraft, Honeywell, Hamilton Sunstrand, Lockheed Martin, Rockwell Collins, and Sikorsky. It is also a supplier in custom input integration with a range of keyboard, switch and input technologies for specialized medical equipment, communications systems and comparable equipment for military applications. These products include custom keyboards, keypads, and input devices that integrate cursor control devices, bar-code scanners, displays, video, and voice activation. It also produces instruments that are used for point-of-use and point-of-care in vivo diagnostics. It has developed a range of technologies, including plastic and vinyl membranes that protect high-use switches and fully depressible buttons, and backlit elastomer switch coverings that are resistant to exposure from harsh chemicals. During fiscal 2010, its customers for these products included Alere, Dictaphone, DRS Tactical Systems, General Electric, IDEXX Laboratories, Jabil Circuit, Philips, Roche, Siemens, and WMS.
The Company designs and manufactures military personal communication equipment, primarily headsets. It is a sole supplier of active noise reduction (ANR) headsets to the British Armyâ€™s tracked and wheeled vehicle fleets under the Bowman communication system program. In the United States, it supplies ANR headsets to the U.S. Armyâ€™s tracked and wheeled vehicle fleets under the vehicle intercom system (VIS) and VIS-X programs comprising over 200,000 vehicles, and it is supplier to the United States Marine Corps for their M-ATV fleet. It is ANR headset supplier to the Canadian Army. During fiscal 2010, its customers for these products included Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Simex Defense, Sanmina-SCI, and the British Ministry of Defence (MoD).
The Company competes with Astronautics, BAE, Bose, ELBIT, EMS, Eaton, GE Aerospace, Honeywell, IAI, L-3, Otto Controls, RAFI, Rockwell Collins, SELEX, Telephonics, Thales, Ultra Electronics, Universal Avionics Systems Corporation and Zodiac.
Sensors & Systems
The Companyâ€™s Sensors & Systems business segment includes power systems and advanced sensors capabilities. It develops and manufactures temperature, pressure and speed sensors, electrical power switching, control and data communication devices, and other related systems for aerospace and defense customers. It is a supplier of temperature probes for use on all versions of the General Electric/Snecma CFM-56 jet engine. The customers for its products in this business segment are jet engine manufacturers and airframe manufacturers. During fiscal 2010, some of its customers for these products included The Boeing Company, Bombardier, Dassault, Eurocopter, Flame, General Electric, Honeywell, Rolls Royce, and SAFRAN.
The Company competes with Ametek, Eaton, Goodrich, Hamilton Sundstrand, MPC Products, Meggitt, STPI-Deutsch, Tyco and Zodiac.
The Companyâ€™s Advanced Materials business segment includes engineered materials and defense technologies capabilities. It develops and manufactures elastomer products used in a range of commercial aerospace, space, and military applications, and engineered thermal components for commercial aerospace and industrial applications. It also develops and manufactures combustible ordnance and countermeasures for military applications. It specializes in the development of formulations for silicone rubber and other elastomer products. Its elastomer products are engineered to address specific customer requirements where high temperature, high pressure, caustic, abrasive and other difficult eis critical. These products include clamping devices, thermal fire barrier insulation products, sealing systems, tubing and coverings designed in custom-molded shapes. It is a the United States supplier of performance elastomer products to the aerospace industry, with its customers for these products being jet and rocket engine manufacturers, commercial and military airframe manufacturers, as well as commercial airlines. During fiscal 2010, its customers included Alliant Techsystems, The Boeing Company, Honeywell, KAPCO, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Pattonair. It also develops and manufactures lightweight metallic insulation systems for aerospace and marine applications. Its commercial aerospace programs include the 737, A320, and A380 series aircraft and the V2500 and BR710 engines. Its insulation material is used on diesel engine manifolds for earthmoving and agricultural applications. In addition, it specializes in the development of thermal protection for fire, nuclear, and petro-chemical industries. It designs and manufactures temperature components for industrial and marine markets. Its manufacturing processes consist of cutting, pressing, and welding stainless steel, Inconel and titanium fabrications. During fiscal 2010, its customers of these products included Airbus, The Boeing Company, Goodrich, GKN Aerospace, Northrop Grumman, Pattonair, Rolls Royce, Short Brothers, Spirit AeroSystems, and Volvo.
The Company develops and manufactures combustible ordnance and warfare countermeasure devices for military customers. It manufactures molded fiber cartridge cases, mortar increments, igniter tubes and other combustible ordnance components for the United States Department of Defense. It also monitors safety metrics to ensure compliance. It is a supplier of combustible casings utilized by the United States Armed Forces. These products include the combustible case for the United States Armyâ€™s new generation 155 millimeters Modular Artillery Charge System, the 120 millimeters combustible case used with the main armament system on the United States Army and Marine Corpsâ€™ M1-A1/2 tanks, and the 60 millimeters, 81 millimeters and 120 millimeters combustible mortar increments. It is a supplier of United States Army of infrared decoy flares used by aircraft to help protect against radar and infrared guided missiles. In addition it is a supplier of infrared decoy flares to the MoD and other international defense agencies.
The Company competes with Chemring, Doncasters, Hitemp, J&M, JPR Hutchinson, Kmass, Dunlop Standard Aerospace Group, Rheinmetall, Trelleborg, ULVA and UMPCO.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Since the initial drop, shares of United Tech have bounced back a bit. They’re down 0.8% at $106.93 at 12:03 p.m. That drop puts it out of step with other industrial stocks, which have been stronger today. General Electric (GE), for instance, has gained 1.1% to $24.16, Honeywell International (HON) has ticked up 0.2% to $83.19, Esterline (ESL) has risen 0.7% to $80.45 and Northrop Grumman (NOC) is up 0.6% at $95.87.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Birner Dental Management Services Inc.(BDMS)
Birner Dental Management Services, Inc., a dental business service company, provides dental practice management services to dental practice networks in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. The company offers business services to 64 dental practice offices that include 38 acquired offices and 26 internally developed ?de novo Offices?. Its affiliated dentist offices provide general dentistry services, including crowns and bridges, fillings, and aesthetic procedures, such as porcelain veneers and bleaching; cleanings and periodontal services, including root planning and scaling; and specialty dental services, such as orthodontics, oral surgery, pediatrics, endodontics, and periodontics at some of its offices. The company serves dentists, patients, and third-party payors. Birner Dental Management Services, Inc. was founded in 1995 and is headquartered in Denver, Colorado.
- [By Geoff Gannon]I could go down the list for each company that I thought was an especially oddly valued stock. For Birner Dental (BDMS), itâ€™s possible people were paying more attention to earnings per share and dividends than EBITDA and share buybacks. For Bancinsurance, the companyâ€™s top management was under SEC investigation. For George Risk (RSKIA), it was a combination of not really cheap on a P/E basis and just barely cheap on a cash basis â€“ and it was connected to homebuilding.
- [By Geoff Gannon]For example, a company involved in a mundane business like running hair salons â€“ like Regis (RGS), dentist offices â€“ like Birner Dental (BDMS), grocery stores â€“ like Village Supermarket (VLGEA), or garbage dumps â€“ like Waste Management (WM), may be easy to estimate as essentially a no-growth business.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Jinpan International Limited(JST)
Jinpan International Limited engages in the design and manufacture of cast resin transformers for voltage distribution equipment. Its cast resin transformers allow high voltage transmissions of electricity to be distributed to various locations in lower, more usable voltages. The company provides medium voltage cast resin transformers for various end uses and applications, including industrial, infrastructure, and municipal projects, such as factories, real estate developments, airports, and subway systems. It also offers switchgears, which enable operators of a power distribution network to switch equipment in and out of the network; line reactors that limit current, filter waveforms, and attenuate electrical noise and harmonics associated with the inverter and driver output of wind powered turbines; and unit substations, which are integrated assemblies comprising high voltage switchgear, a transformer, a low voltage switchgear, a power meter, and a power factor compensat ion device interconnected with cables or buss bars. The company?s unit substations function as miniature power distribution stations and are used in applications related to the construction and maintenance of city power networks. Jinpan International sells its products in the People?s Republic of China, the United States, and Europe. The company was founded in 1993 and is headquartered in Haikou, the People’s Republic of China.
- [By CRWE]Jinpan International Ltd (Nasdaq:JST), a leading designer, manufacturer, and distributor of cast resin dry type transformers, recently reported that its subsidiary Hainan Jinpan Electric Co. Ltd. successfully developed a 40,000KVA / 35KV cast resin dry type power transformer. The Company has shipped the transformer to the customer’s site in China’s Anhui province for installation in a transformer substation that will deliver power to gas liquification systems.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Tesoro Logistics LP(TLLP)
Tesoro Logistics LP engages in the ownership, operation, development, and acquisition of crude oil and refined products logistics assets in the United States. The company is involved in the gathering, terminalling, transportation, and storage of crude oil and refined products. Its assets consist of a crude oil gathering system in the Bakken Shale/Williston Basin area of North Dakota and Montana; eight refined products terminals in the midwestern and western United States; a crude oil and refined products storage facility; and five related short-haul pipelines. The company was founded in 2010 and is based in San Antonio, Texas. Tesoro Logistics LP is a subsidiary of Tesoro Corporation.
- [By Robert Rapier]RRMS didn’t see the same kind of price surge in 2013 as ACMP, so offers a more generous annualized yield of 5.2 percent. RRMS also has a lower total debt/equity (mrq), at 22 percent versus ACMP’s 71 percent. For Q3 2013, RRMS reported $15.4 million in adjusted EBITDA, a year-over-year increase of 65 percent. In comparison, adjusted EBITDA for the 2013 third quarter totaled $227 million for ACMP, an increase of 90 percent year-over-year.
Tesoro Logistics (NYSE: TLLP) was spun off by the refiner Tesoro (NYSE: TSO) in 2011 to operate pipelines leading to and from its plants. TLLP’s assets consist of a crude oil gathering system in the Williston Basin area of North Dakota and Montana, 17 refined product and storage terminals, three dedicated storage facilities, four California marine terminals, a rail unloading facility, and a petroleum coke handling facility.
Distributions have grown steadily since the IPO, from $1.35 per unit (annualized) in Q2 2011 to the current annualized level of $2.18/unit. At a current unit price of $53.49, TLLP is well off its 52-week high of $71.92. Distributions have increased each quarter since the IPO, and units currently have a yield of 4.2 percent. But investors should be wary given that TLLP is highly leveraged. Its total debt/equity (mrq) is nearly 400 percent, much higher than most competitors.Of the three MLPs — ACMP, RRMS and TLLP — RRMS looks best at the moment with the least downside risk. It is by far the least-leveraged, didn’t have a huge run-up in 2013 that depressed its yield, and it has managed to steadily grow revenues and distributions since its IPO.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Yesterday, Tesoro Corp. (TSO) sold a bunch of assets to Tesoro Logistics (TLLP) for $650 million, the second “drop-down,” or sale of assets by a parent company to a partnership.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Forward Industries Inc.(FORD)
Forward Industries, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, designs, markets, and distributes carry and protective solutions. The company offers soft-sided carrying cases, bags, clips, hand straps, protective plates, and skins, as well as other accessories for hand held electronic devices, including medical monitoring and diagnostic kits, bar code scanners, GPS and location devices, and cellular telephones. It also designs, markets, and distributes carry and protective solutions for other consumer products, such as laptop computers, MP3 players, firearms, sporting, recreational, and aeronautical products. The company provides its products for used by consumers in protecting, and carrying or transporting portable electronic and other products. Forward Industries, Inc. sells its products to original equipment manufacturers and contract manufacturers in the Asia Pacific, the Americas, and Europe. Forward Industries was founded in 1954 and is based in Santa Monica, California. Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Michael Antonoff]Both cars became associated with my deepest regrets. The first because I traded it in for $200 toward a new powder-blue, feel-the-road-on-your-fanny, no-pep Pinto when the Mustang needed $300 of transmission work. My Mustang soon would be known as a Classic, easily worth $10,000. The convertible turned out to be a Lemon Classic that left me repeatedly stranded from Route 101 to the Santa Cruz Mountains. (I should have known something was afoot when a day after driving the car off the lot, black smoke began pouring out of the tailpipe.)
The original 1965 Ford Mustang convertible in Wimbledon White — the early version known to many as the 1964 1/2. Mustang went on sale on April 17, 1964 and sold more than 418,000 in the first 12 months. (Photo: Ford)View Fullscreen The sixth-generation, redesigned 2015 Mustang. (Photo: Ford)View Fullscreen The 1963 Ford Special Falcon: A prototype of the upcoming Mustang on the Falcon chassis before the name was final. At this time it was referred to as the â€œSpecial Falconâ€ and had Cougar badges, one of names under consideration. (Photo: Ford)View Fullscreen Company head Henry Ford II with the 1964 1/2 Mustang Ford at the car’s unveiling at the New York World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. on April 17, 1964. (Photo: Ford)View Fullscreen The 1965 Ford Mustang hardtop on display in the Ford Pavilion at the 1964 New York World’s Fair where the car was introduced April 17, 1964. (Photo: Ford)View Fullscreen 1964 Ford Mustang ad from the New York World’s Fair. (Photo: Ford)View Fullscreen Ad photo for the 1965-model Mustang: By June 1964, Mustang has three body styles — fastback, hardtop and convertible — with four engine options. (Photo: Ford)View Fullscreen A 2010 photo of Gail Wise, the first known retail buyer of a Mustang, with her 1965 convertible bought i
- [By James R. Healey and Fred Meier] Ford Motor’s F-150 continued a sales boom in 2013. Ford’s F-series lineup was the best-selling vehicle of any kind in the U.S. for 32nd consecutive year. An F-150 Tremor sport truck model is shown.(Photo: Ford)
- [By John Emerson]I will conclude Part one of Reflections from 20 Years of Investing (2001- 2008) with the discussion of three more sizable winners: Forward Industries (FORD), Lake Gaming (LACO) and Fairchild (FA).
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Idera Pharmaceuticals Inc.(IDRA)
Idera Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biotechnology company, discovers and develops DNA- and RNA-based drug candidates for the treatment of infectious diseases, autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, cancer, and asthma and allergies, and for use as vaccine adjuvants. The company designs and creates proprietary Toll-Like Receptors (TLR) to modulate immune responses, including TLR agonist, a compound that stimulates an immune response through the targeted TLR; and TLR antagonist, a compound that blocks activation of an immune response through the targeted TLR. Its drug candidates include IMO-2125, a TLR9 agonist, which is in Phase 1 clinical trial for hepatitis C virus infection; and TLR7, 8, and 9 agonists that are in research stage for viral diseases. The company also develops IMO-3100, a dual TLR7/TLR9 antagonist, which is in preclinical development stage for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, and colitis. In addition, its drug candidates also comprise TLR7 and TLR8 agonists that are in research stage for solid tumor cancers. The company has a licensing and collaboration agreement with Merck KGaA to research, develop, and commercialize TLR9 agonists for the treatment of cancer, excluding cancer vaccines; a license and research collaboration agreement with Merck & Co., Inc. to research, develop, and commercialize therapeutic and prophylactic vaccine products containing its TLR7, 8, and 9 agonists in the fields of cancer, infectious diseases, and Alzheimer?s disease; and a research collaboration and option agreement, and a license, development, and commercialization agreement with Novartis International Pharmaceutical, Ltd. to discover, develop, and commercialize TLR9 agonists for the treatment of asthma and allergies. The company was founded in 1989 and is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- [By John Udovich]
Follow-on Stock Offerings From Small Cap Biotech Stocks. Thanks to the boom in biotech IPOs along with the sectorâ€™s overall performance, already listed biotechs have the option to ask investors for more cash in the form of a follow-on offering. Recently, FierceBiotech.com noted how four small cap biotechs raised $276 million from follow-on offerings in just one day last week. These small capsÂ included Epizyme Inc (NASDAQ: EPZM) which raised $88 million, Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc (NASDAQ: HALO) which raised $100 million, Agenus Inc (NASDAQ: AGEN) which raised $52 million and Idera Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: IDRA) which raised $36 million. FierceBiotech.com noted that theÂ steady flow of about $4.5 billion a year in venture cashÂ along withÂ more than $3.5 billion from IPOs last year plus all of theÂ follow-ons are helping to foster both company growth andÂ accelerate drugÂ development programs. Mixed Bag for Biotech IPOs. Last Wednesday also saw two small cap biotech IPOs fizzle in one dayÂ with small cap T cell vaccine developerÂ Genocea Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: GNCA) raising $60 million but then ending the day down 8.3% to close at $11 while Dutch drug developer uniQure NV (QURE) raised $81.9 million but fell more than 14% to $14.61. However, orphan drug stock Auspex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ASPX), which is developingÂ drugs to treat orphan diseases like Tourette syndrome, saw a 30.5% gain to close at $15.66 and raise $84 million. The Boston Globe quoted Michael Ringel, a partner and managing director at Boston Consulting Group who focuses on health care business, as saying:â€œThe mood is incredibly positive. Capital is flowing. [The biotech IPOs]â€¦ have been burning hot. I think itâ€™s too early to suggest that is changing. I canâ€™t predict the overall economy any better than anyone else, but I would expect a pretty good year for IPOs.â€
- [By Roberto Pedone]One under-$10 clinical stage biotechnology player that’s starting to move within range of triggering a major breakout trade is Idera Pharmaceuticals (IDRA), which is engaged in the discovery and development of novel synthetic DNA- and RNA-based drug candidates. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up huge by 221%.
If you take a look at the chart for Idera Pharmaceuticals, you’ll notice that this stock has been uptrending strong for the last month, with shares soaring higher from its low of $1.55 to its intraday high of $3.10 a share. During that uptrend, shares of IDRA have been consistently making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has now pushed share of IDRA within range of triggering a major breakout trade. In fact, shares of IDRA are ripping higher today by over 10% with strong upside volume as the stock moves close to entering breakout territory.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in IDRA if it manages to break out above its 52-week high at $3.12 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above that level with volume that hits near or above its three-month average volume of 1.45 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then IDRA will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $4 to $4.50 a share.
Traders can look to buy IDRA off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below $2.50 a share, or near its 50-day at $2.22 a share. One can also buy IDRA off strength once it starts to take out $3.12 a share with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Lennar Corp.(LEN)
The third largest U.S. homebuilder by revenue reported exceptional Q3 results, as its earnings more than quadrupled, primarily as a result of an increase in new-home demand. The reported net income of 40c was well ahead of last year’s 11c, and the forecasted 28c.
According to the company’s CEO, Stuart Miller, “The homebuilding business is beginning to revert to normal, and that’s a positive for the U.S. economy in general, which is in turn good for sustained recovery in the housing market. Overall demand has been improving and we’ve seen a consistent sales pace at improving prices.”
LEN’s contract backlog, which is an indicator of future sales, rose by a whopping 79% on a YoY basis. Its average selling price of delivered homes also increased to $258,000 from last year’s $247,000.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Homebuilders like KB Home (KBH), Lennar (LEN) and PulteGroup (PHM) sat out most of 2013′s rally. They could play catchup during 2014.
Associated PressRBC Capital Markets’ Robert Wetenhall and Desi DiPierro explain point to three reasons to believe homebuilders can rally in 2014:
- [By DailyFinance Staff]Job creation last month was shockingly weak, but analysts couldn’t really explain why –- other than to blame the weather — which left investors unsure how to react Friday. Many analysts say the numbers are likely to be revised higher next month, and in the end, market reaction was muted. The Dow Jones industrial average (^DJI) lost ground for a third straight day, declining nearly 8 points, but the Standard & Poor’s 500 index (^GPSC) added 4, and the Nasdaq composite index (^IXIC) rose 18 points. Target (TGT) lost more than a point after saying the data breach that began on Black Friday was much worse than previously thought. The company now says as many as 70 million customers had personal information stolen. Target also lowered its fourth quarter outlook, partly because sales slumped after the data breach was first revealed. Sears (SHLD) tumbled by around 13.5 percent. It expects a big quarterly loss as sales fell during the holiday shopping season. Several smaller, specialty retailers also fell: Pacific Sunwear (PSUN) slid 16 percent, Five Below (FIVE) fell 7 percent, Shoe Carnival (SCVL) lost 5 percent, and Conn’s (CONN) lost 2 percent. But Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) jumped 12 percent. It raised its earnings forecast as sales were not as bad as expected. Elsewhere, Alcoa (AA) fell about 5.5 percent. It’s not quite the economic bellwether it used to be, but the aluminum giant still matters, and its net came in a bit shy of expectations. YRC Worldwide (YRCW) tumbled 13 percent after workers rejected a contract offer. That has raised fears the trucking company could be forced into bankruptcy. On the upside, the weak jobs report could keep mortgage rates from rising, and that boosted housing stocks. KB Homes (KBH) rose 3 percent, William Lyons up 4 percent, and Lennar (LEN) was up 2 percent. And on Thursday we reported that shares of Intercept Pharmaceuticals nearly quadrupled in price on news of a positive clinical study for its liver dr
- [By Sue Chang and Ben Eisen]LEN: Home builders were strong with Lennar Corp. (LEN) Â shares gaining 2% and D.R. Horton Inc. (DHI) Â shares up 1.8%. Treasury yields fell on Friday after data from the Labor Department showed the economy generated fewer jobs than expected. The U.S. added 74,000 jobs last month, the smallest increase since the beginning of 2011. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch had forecast an increase of 193,000 nonfarm jobs. Lower interest rates are beneficial to the real-estate market, making loans more affordable.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Freedom Foods Group Ltd (FNP)
Freedom Foods Group Limited (FNP) is an Australia-based company engaged in providing for specialized Needs in the Global Food Industry. The Company operates in Freedom Foods, operating in the manufacture, distribution and marketing of allergen free cereals and nutritional snacks and other food products under the Freedom Foods brand and dairy alternative beverages under the Australiaâ€™s Own and Freedom Foods brands. The Companyâ€™s Pactum Australia operates in the manufacture and distribution of Aseptic (long life) beverages and foods. The Companyâ€™s Specialty Seafood, operating in the distribution and marketing of canned Herring Sardines and Canned Alaskan Salmon under the Brunswick and Paramount brands. The Company has investment in A2 Corporation, operating in A2 branded dairy milk manufacture, marketing and distribution activities in Australia and International Markets. Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Lauren Pollock]Fifth & Pacific Cos.(FNP) unveiled a plan to change its name to Kate Spade & Co., the second time the clothing maker has changed its moniker since 2012, with the latest move tied to its narrow focus on the designer brand. Shares dropped 8.2% to $29.25 premarket as the company also issued a fiscal-year sales outlook that missed Wall Street expectations.
- [By John Udovich]Small cap apparel stock G-III Apparel Group, Ltd (NASDAQ: GIII) has been making bullish moves lately plus the stock is up 97.1% since the start of the year, making it the third best performing apparel stock (according to stock screener Finviz)Â after small capÂ Ever-Glory International Group Inc (NYSEMKT: EVK) and mid cap Fifth & Pacific Companies Inc (NYSE: FNP) followed by mid cap Hanesbrands Inc (NYSE: HBI). But is the G-III Apparel Group dressed for long term success for investors?
- [By Lauren Pollock]Fifth & Pacific Cos.(FNP) is nearing a deal to sell its Lucky Brand denim business after an auction that had stalled regained momentum this fall, people familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal.
- [By Louis Navellier]Ralph Lauren Corp.’s largest competitors are Fifth & Pacific Companies (FNP) and The Jones Group (JNY). Of these three companies, Fifth & Pacific is currently the best buy right now due to superior buying pressure. Meanwhile, Jones Group is suffering from flat sales and deep-seated cash flow issues. I’ll discuss Ralph Lauren’s problems with attracting institutional investors shortly.
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: Dorchester Minerals L.P.(DMLP)
Dorchester Minerals, L.P. engages in the acquisition, ownership, and administration of producing and non-producing natural gas and crude oil royalty, net profits, and leasehold interests in the United States. Its net profits interests represent net profits overriding royalty interests in various properties owned by the operating partnership; and royalty properties consist of producing and nonproducing mineral, royalty, overriding royalty, net profits, and leasehold interests located in 574 counties and parishes in 25 states. Dorchester Minerals Management LP serves as the general partner of Dorchester Minerals, L.P. The company was founded in 1982 and is based in Dallas, Texas.
- [By Robert Rapier]Q: The writer before you did not like Dorchester. Could you research it and give a recommendation by the next chat?
Dorchester Minerals (Nasdaq: DMLP) is a Texas-based partnership that owns producing and non-producing crude oil and natural gas properties, royalty, overriding royalty, net profits, and leasehold interests. The partnership is primarily a natural gas producer, and the biggest knock against it historically is that it hasn’t done a great job of growing proved reserves:
Dorchester Minerals Reserves History. Source: Dorchester Minerals Investor Presentation
Top Stocks To Buy Right Now: QUALCOMM Incorporated(QCOM)
QUALCOMM Incorporated engages in the development, design, manufacture, and marketing of digital wireless telecommunications products and services. The company operates in four segments: Qualcomm CDMA Technologies (QCT), Qualcomm Technology Licensing (QTL), Qualcomm Wireless and Internet (QWI), and Qualcomm Strategic Initiatives (QSI). The QCT segment develops and supplies code division multiple access (CDMA)-based integrated circuits and system software for wireless voice and data communications, multimedia functions and global positioning system products. The QTL segment grants licenses to use portions of its intellectual property portfolio comprising patent rights useful in the manufacture and sale of wireless products, such as products implementing cdmaOne, CDMA2000, WCDMA, CDMA TDD, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and/or OFDMA standards and their derivatives The QWI segment consists of Qualcomm Internet Services that provides content enablement services for the wireless industry and pu sh-to-talk and other products and services for wireless network operators; Qualcomm Government Technologies, which offers development, hardware, and analytical services to the United States government agencies involving wireless communications technologies; Qualcomm Enterprise Services that provides satellite and terrestrial-based two-way data messaging, position reporting, wireless application services, and managed data services to transportation and logistics companies and other enterprise companies; and Firethorn, which builds and manages software applications that enable mobile commerce services. The QSI segment makes strategic investments to support the worldwide adoption of CDMA- and OFDMA-based technologies and services. QUALCOMM Incorporated primarily operates in China, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and the United States. The company was founded in 1985 and is based in San Diego, California.
- [By Marc Bastow]Chip maker Qualcomm (QCOM) stepped up to the dividend plate during the week, raising its dividend for the 11th consecutive year.
Hereâ€™s a look at the new payout from Qualcomm as well as the improvements from other dividend stocks this week.
- [By WALLSTCHEATSHEET]Qualcomm provides digital communications products to a variety of consumers and companies worldwide. The company is under investigation for possible overcharging and using its position of “dominance” in the marketplace to limit competition. The stock has been trending higher, but is currently pulling back. Over the last four quarters, earnings and revenues have been increasing. However, investors have had mixed feelings about recent earnings announcements. Relative to its peers and sector, Qualcomm has been a relative year-to-date performance leader. Look for Qualcomm to OUTPERFORM.
- [By Chris Neiger]The rumors are growing that Apple is on the cusp of releasing its iWatch, but while investors are impatiently waiting for the company to enter the wearables market, Samsung (NASDAQOTH: SSNLF ) , Sony (NYSE: SNE ) , Qualcomm (NASDAQ: QCOM ) and others are already firmly in the smartwatch space.