Janus Capital Group Inc., owner of the Janus, Intech and Perkins funds, fell the most in almost 15 months after subpar performance prompted investors to pull money for the 18th consecutive quarter.
Janus’s clients withdrew a net $6.2 billion, the most since the second quarter of 2010, the company said Thursday in a statement reporting fourth-quarter financial results. Janus shares fell 7.5% to $12.01 by 11:36 a.m. in New York trading, after earlier falling as much as 8.8%, the most since Oct. 31, 2011.
“Lagging relative investment performance remains the primary head wind to fund flow and performance fee improvement,” Daniel Fannon, an analyst at Jefferies & Co., wrote in a note to clients Thursday, adding that the withdrawals were almost triple his $2.3 billion estimate.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Buffalo Wild Wings Inc.(BWLD)
Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. engages in the ownership, operation, and franchise of restaurants in the United States. The company provides quick casual and casual dining services, as well as serves bottled beers, wines, and liquor. As of July 26, 2011, it had 773 Buffalo Wild Wings locations in 45 states in the United States, as well as in Canada. The company was founded in 1982 and is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- [By Steve Symington]Meanwhile, its significantly larger beer-and-wings cousin,Â Buffalo Wild WingsÂ (NASDAQ: BWLD ) , had justÂ managed to grow revenue 12% year over year — a performance driven not only by new restaurant openings, but also by B-Wild’s respective 5.2% and 3.1% same-store sales increases at company-owned and franchised restaurants. Of course, Buffalo Wild Wings shares also plunged the following day as a result of its cautious forward outlook, but the stock has since rebounded nicely as investors take solace knowing diners are still coming back in droves.
- [By Laura Brodbeck]Tuesday
Earnings Expected: Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. (NASDAQ: BWLD), Hillenbrand Inc (NYSE: HI), Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: SIRI) Economic Releases Expected: German retail sales, French consumer confidence, German unemployment rate, eurozone CPI, eurozone PPI, US trade balance, US redbookWednesday
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: HeartWare International Inc (HTWR)
Heartware International, Inc. (HeartWare), incorporated on June 25, 2010, develops and manufactures small implantable heart pumps, or ventricular assist devices, for the treatment of advanced heart failure. The HeartWare Ventricular Assist System (the HeartWare System), which includes a ventricular assist device (VAD), or blood pump, patient accessories and surgical tools, is designed to provide circulatory support for patients in the advanced stage of heart failure. The core of the HeartWare System is a continuous flow blood pump, the HVAD Pump, which is a full-output device capable of pumping up to 10 liters of blood per minute. The HeartWare System is designed to be implanted adjacent to the heart, avoiding the abdominal surgery generally required to implant similar devices. In August 2012, it acquired World Heart Corporation. As of December 31, 2012, the HeartWare System has been implanted outside of the United States at approximately 168 health care sites in 28 countries. In December 2013, HeartWare International Inc acquired CircuLite, Inc.
Proprietary Pump Technology
The HeartWare System is full-output centrifugal pump designed to be implanted in the chest, directly adjacent to the heart. At the core of the Companyâ€™s technology platform is its hybrid system for suspending the impeller, which is the only moving part within the pump. The impeller is suspended within the pump housing by the opposing forces of passive magnets and hydrodynamic thrust generated by the pump impeller, which circulates a cushion of
blood. Once power is applied to the device and the impeller begins to rotate, there are no points of mechanical contact within the pump, thus providing a completely wearless pumping system.
The HeartWare System
The HeartWare System consists of the HVAD Pump, a small, permanently implantable VAD, patient accessories and surgical tools. The HVAD Pump is capable of generating up to 10 liters of blood flow per minute. With a displaced volume of only 50 cubic centimeters and a mass of 140 grams, the HVAD Pump is the only full-output pump implantable in the pericardial space, directly adjacent to the heart. It is also the only pump designed to be implanted above the diaphragm in all eligible patients.
The HeartWare MVAD
The miniaturized ventricular assist device (MVAD) is a miniaturized blood pump intended for chronic heart failure patients. The device is a full-output axial flow pump with a fully suspended rotor and a displacement volume approximately one-third that of the HVAD Pump.
The Company competes with Thoratec Corporation, Jarvik Heart, MicroMed Technology, Inc, Berlin Heart AG, Terumo Heart, Inc., Sunshine Heart, Inc and CircuLite, Inc., Evaheart Medical USA, Inc.
- [By Lauren Pollock]Medical device company HeartWare International Inc.(HTWR) issued a revenue forecast that fell short of market expectations.
Intrepid Potash Inc.(IPI), the largest potash producer in the U.S., plans to cut its workforce by 7% and cut executive compensation as part of a plan to trim costs in reaction to weaker prices for the fertilizer ingredient.
- [By Todd Campbell]Competing for heart pump market share
Abiomed’s products provide circulatory support for up to six hours and are designed for use in cardiac cath labs or during heart surgery, but competitors Thoratec (NASDAQ: THOR ) and Heartware (NASDAQ: HTWR ) target the intermediate- and long-term-use market instead.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Comfort Systems USA Inc. (FIX)
Comfort Systems USA, Inc. provides installation, maintenance, repair, and replacement services for the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems in the mechanical services industry in the United States. The company engages in the design, engineering, integration, installation, and start-up of HVAC, building automation controls, and related systems; and maintenance, repair, replacement, reconfiguration, and monitoring of HVAC systems and industrial process piping. It also provides specialized applications, such as building automation control systems, fire protection, process cooling, electronic monitoring, and process piping, as well as electrical and plumbing services. The company offers its services for office buildings, retail centers, apartment complexes, and manufacturing plants, as well as healthcare, education, and government facilities. It serves building owners and developers, general contractors, architects, consulting engineers, and property manag ers in the commercial, industrial and institutional HVAC markets. Comfort Systems USA, Inc. was founded in 1917 and is headquartered in Houston, Texas.
- [By Jeremy Bowman]What: Shares of HVAC-service provider Comfort Systems USA (NYSE: FIX ) were heating up today, gaining as much as 13% on a promising earnings report.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on Comfort Systems USA (NYSE: FIX ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Polycom Inc.(PLCM)
Polycom, Inc. provides communications equipment that enables businesses, telecommunications service providers, governmental and educational institutions, and healthcare customers to conduct video, voice, data, and Web communications. The company offers network infrastructure, including conferencing infrastructure, distributed media applications, management applications, recording and streaming security, and remote access for universal video collaboration; unified communications (UC) group systems, which include immersive telepresence, group video, and group voice systems that enable geographically dispersed individuals to communicate; UC personal devices comprising desktop video devices, desktop voice, and wireless local area network products that extend HD voice, video, and content to desktops, home offices, mobile users, and branch sites. It also provides various services, including assessments, implementation services, network consulting services, usage and adoption ser vices, wireless services application integration, and advanced project management services. The company sells its products through a network of channel partners, including distributors, value-added resellers, system integrators, communications services providers, and retailers in North America, Central America, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific. Polycom, Inc. was founded in 1990 and is headquartered in Pleasanton, California.
- [By Victor Selva]On Feb. 3, the billionaire investor George Soros (Trades, Portfolio) bought Polycom Inc. (PLCM) at an average price of $11.72 and currently holds 9,400,708 shares of the stock. This trade makes me feel that he is betting in favor of the communications equipment sub-industry. So let’s take a look at this company and try to explain to investors the reasons this is an apparently appealing investment opportunity in an industry that is becoming concentrated and globalized, dominated by large players like Cisco Systems (CSCO) and Qualcomm (QCOM).
- [By Alex Planes]What: Shares of Polycom (NASDAQ: PLCM ) have fallen by 13% today. Yesterday, the company’s CEO resigned abruptly, which came amid allegations of some “irregularities” in the former exec’s expense reports. That, along with with some disappointing guidance in last afternoon’s earnings report, has sent analysts scurrying from the stock.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Materion Corp (BEM)
Materion Corporation, formerly Brush Engineered Materials Inc., is a holding Company. The Company, through its wholly owned subsidiaries, is an integrated producer of advanced engineered materials used in a variety of electrical, electronic, thermal and structural applications. It products are sold into numerous markets, including consumer electronics, industrial components and commercial aerospace, defense and science, energy, medical, automotive electronics, telecommunications infrastructure and appliance. In March 2012, the Company acquired Aerospace Metal Composites Limited (AMC). In October 2011, the Company, through its wholly owned subsidiary, Materion Advanced Materials Technologies and Services Inc., acquired EIS Optics Limited. On March 8, 2011, the Company changed its name to Materion Corporation.
Advanced Material Technologies
Advanced Material Technologies manufactures precious, non-precious and specialty metal products, including vapor deposition targets, frame lid assemblies, clad and precious metal preforms, high temperature braze materials, ultra-fine wire, advanced chemicals, optics, performance coatings and microelectronic packages. These products are used in wireless, semiconductor, photonic, hybrid and other microelectronic applications within the consumer electronics and telecommunications infrastructure markets. Other key markets for these products include medical, defense and science, energy and industrial components. Advanced Material Technologies also has metal cleaning operations and in-house refineries that allow for the reclaim of precious metals from internally generated or customers scrap. Advanced Material Technologies products are sold directly from its facilities throughout the United States, Asia and Europe. Sales are made to over 3,200 customers. During the year ended December 31, 2011, sales for this segment were 69% of total sales.
Performance Alloys manufactures and sells three product families: strip products, bulk products and beryllium hydroxide. Strip products include thin gauge precision strip and thin diameter rod and wire. These copper and nickel alloys are used as connectors, contacts, switches, relays and shielding. Markets for strip products include consumer electronics, telecommunications infrastructure, automotive electronics, appliance and medical. Its bulk products include copper and nickel-based alloys manufactured in plate, rod, bar, tube and other customized forms. Applications for bulk products include oil and gas drilling components, bearings, bushings, welding rods, plastic mold tooling, and undersea telecommunications housing equipment.
The Companyâ€™s Bulk products are copper and nickel-based alloys manufactured in plate, rod, bar, tube and other customized forms that, depending upon the application, may provide superior strength, corrosion or wear resistance, thermal conductivity or lubricity. Applications for bulk products include oil and gas drilling components, bearings, bushings, welding rods, plastic mold tooling, and undersea telecommunications housing equipment. The Companyâ€™s Beryllium hydroxide is produced at its milling operations in Utah from its bertrandite mine and purchased beryl ore. The hydroxide is used primarily as a raw material input for strip and bulk products, and by the Beryllium and Composites segment. It sells beryllium hydroxide to NGK Insulators, Ltd. Its strip and bulk products are manufactured at facilities in Ohio and Pennsylvania and are distributed internationally, through a network of Company-owned service centers and outside distributors and agents. Sales are made to over 1,600 customers. During 2011, sales for this segment were 22% of total sales.
Beryllium and Composites
The Companyâ€™s Beryllium and Composites segment manufactures beryllium-based metals and metal matrix composites in rod, sheet, foil and a variety of customized forms at its Elmore, Ohio and Fremont, California facilities. This segment also manufactures beryllia ceramics at its Tucson, Arizona facility. Defense and science is the market for Beryllium and Composites, including industrial components and commercial aerospace, medical, energy and telecommunications infrastructure. Products are also sold for acoustics and optical scanning applications.
The beryllium facility produces primary beryllium. It is a feedstock material used to produce beryllium metal products, which was completed during 2011. Beryllium-containing products are sold worldwide. Electronic components utilizing beryllia are used in the telecommunications infrastructure, medical, industrial components and commercial aerospace, and defense and science markets. These products are distributed through direct sales and independent sales agents. Sales are made to over 300 customers. During 2011, sales for this segment were 4% of total sales.
Technical Materials include clad inlay and overlay metals, precious and base metal electroplated systems, electron beam welded systems, contour profiled systems and solder-coated metal systems. These specialty strip metal products provide a range of thermal, electrical or mechanical properties from a surface area or particular section of the material. The applications for these products include connectors, contacts and semiconductors, including automotive electronics and consumer electronics markets. Its products are manufactured at its Lincoln, Rhode Island facility and sold directly and through its sales representatives. Sales are made to over 200 customers. During 2011, sales for this segment were 5% of total sales.
The Company competes with Sumitomo Metals, Heraeus Inc., Praxair, Inc., Honeywell International Inc., Solar Applied Materials Technology Corp., Tanaka Holding Co., Ltd., Johnson Matthey plc, International Beryllium Corp., Ningxia Orient Tantalum, LeBronze Industriel, American Beryllia Inc., CBL Ceramics Limited, Heraeus Inc. and AMI Doduco, Inc.
- [By John Detrixhe]Developing-country bonds lost 1.2 percent in November after gaining in the previous two months, according to the Bloomberg USD Emerging Market Composite Bond Index. (BEM) The MSCI Emerging Markets Index fell 1.6 percent, the first decline since August and taking this yearâ€™s drop to 3.5 percent.
- [By Inyoung Hwang]The Bloomberg USD Emerging Market Composite Bond Index (BEM), which includes sovereign and corporate debt, declined 4.39 percent in June, capping its second consecutive quarterly loss.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Gruppa LSR OAO (LSRG)
Gruppa LSR OAO (LSR Group OJSC) is a Russia-based company involved in the real estate development and construction. It is also engaged in the production of various building materials, such as ceramic bricks, crushed granite, concrete and reinforced concrete products, ready-mix concrete and aerated concrete segments. The Companyâ€™s services comprise the development of residential, office and commercial buildings, as well as tower cranes and hoisting machinery services for use in real estate construction. It is also involved in the investment operations. Gruppa LSR OAO acts as a general and sub-contractor for the Russian Federation Government, Saint Petersburg Government, and as a general and sub-contractor for other developers, among pile-driving services. The Company operates through numerous subsidiaries located domestically, as well as one representative office in Moscow. In December 2013, it acquired a 100 % stake in OOO Gazstroy, an owner of Ryabovsky brick plant. Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Zahra Hankir]Russian stocks declined to the lowest level in a month as builder LSR Group (LSRG) and power company OAO Inter RAO UES dropped after MSCI Inc. cut them from an index tracked by investors. The Borsa Istanbul National 100 Index tumbled 2.5 percent, the most in two months, as Turkiye Garanti Bankasi AS led losses in lenders. Benchmark gauges in the Czech Republic and Poland retreated at least 0.7 percent.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Abercrombie & Fitch Company(ANF)
Abercrombie & Fitch Co., through its subsidiaries, operates as a specialty retailer of casual apparel for men, women, and kids. The company sells casual sportswear apparel, including knit and woven shirts, graphic t-shirts, fleece, jeans and woven pants, shorts, sweaters, and outerwear; personal care products; and accessories under the Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, and Hollister brands. It also offers bras, underwear, sleepwear, and at-home products for girls under the Gilly Hicks brand. The company sells products through its stores; direct-to-consumer operations; and Websites, which comprise abercrombie.com, abercrombiekids.com, hollisterco.com, and gillyhicks.com. As of October 29, 2011, it operated a total of 1,092 stores, including 316 Abercrombie & Fitch stores, 179 abercrombie kids stores, 501 Hollister Co. stores, and 18 Gilly Hicks stores in the United States; and 10 Abercrombie & Fitch stores, 4 abercrombie kids stores, 63 Hollister Co. stores, and 1 Gill y Hicks store internationally. The company was founded in 1892 and is headquartered in New Albany, Ohio.
- [By Vanina Egea] >Ann Inc. (ANN), and international brands such as Inditex may erode the companyÂ´s margin. Its increase in input costs, inventory per store levels, and negative international comps are also key factors to analyze.
Nevertheless, GAPÂ´s shares have doubled their value in the last two years and Wall Street analysts project a 17% price rise over the next. So, letÂ´s see how this giant overcomes headwinds and makes its way forward.
Local Pruning, Improved Merchandise and Turnaround Marketing Strategies
During third quarter fiscal 2013, the company achieved high top-line growth and increased its margins. This better-than-expected outcome results from GAP’s healthy expenses management and becomes more outstanding given the soft economic environment.
At a domestic level, the company has driven a turnaround marketing strategy that has improved its comps. This major move involved closing weak performing stores in the U.S., reducing its number to 950. In addition, GAP’s endeavors to improve inventory store levels through the implementation of an upgraded inventory system that allows stores to fill online orders for merchandise, has resulted in more cost efficiency. It also developed a Reserve in Store feature that gives shoppers the opportunity to set aside products in stores without paying. Altogether, these strategies improved the companyÂ´s comparable store sales, which showed year-over-year growth in almost every month from January to November 2013.
The companyÂ´s efforts to recapture its core consumer and attract new ones focused also on merchandise improvement. The creation of the global creative center that gathers top talents from the apparel industry resulted in hits like the â€œBe Brightâ€ campaign, focused on colored denims and bottoms, which boosted GAP sales in 2012.Â The creation of a global platform behind each brand also helps to build a consistent message that translates into a stronger brand image.
In regards to int
- [By Selena Maranjian]Alamy When you read something discouraging about a company you patronize or invest in, it’s easy to think there isn’t much you can do about it. But of course that’s not true. As a customer, you can simply stop giving the company your business. If you’re a shareholder, you can vote for or against various proposals for the company. And if those options don’t feel like enough, there’s another way to voice your displeasure — a tactic that is growing in popularity and is truly bring about changes: You can start or sign a petition. If your first reaction to that is, “Nonsense, petitions never accomplish anything,” your skepticism is understandable. But it’s a little out of date. Social media has changed the petition game as it has changed so many other things. Banding Together for Change By now, you’ve probably seen petitions pop up on your Facebook (FB) page. You might have even signed some. But we don’t often hear what happens next. In many cases, they work. For example, 162,150 people signed a petition protesting the name of a Jacksonville, Fla., high school, which had been named in the 1950s after a slave trader and Ku Klux Klan member, and the school board has agreed to change its name at the start of the new school year. Changes can happen at big companies, too. More than 307,000 petitioners were successful in getting Tyson Foods (TSN), the second-largest food-production company in the Fortune 500, to “stop torturing pigs.” The company announced new animal-welfare guidelines for its pork suppliers, requiring more room for pigs to move around and more humane methods of killing the animals. Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) is another example. It had long been criticized for policies such as not offering clothing in larger sizes and making someone’s looks a major hiring criteria in order to distance itself from anyone other than “cool, good-looking people.” The company has finally agreed to start offering plus-size clothing, likely persuaded in part by more t
- [By Maureen Farrell]J.C. Penney Co.(JCP) and Abercrombie & Fitch Co.(ANF) announced major changes Tuesday morning to their so-called poison pills, corporate defense strategies typically designed to prevent one investor from gaining a controlling stake.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Supertex Inc.(SUPX)
Supertex, Inc., together with its subsidiary, Supertex Limited, designs, develops, manufactures, and markets high voltage analog and mixed signal integrated circuits (IC) primarily in Asia, the United States, China, and Europe. The company offers high voltage analog multiplexer switches, pulsers, high-speed MOSFET drivers, and discrete high voltage MOSFETs and arrays for the medical electronics market. It also provides LED driver products, including linear regulators and switching regulators for general lighting in automotive, industrial, and consumer applications; and for backlighting in LCD TVs, monitors, and laptop screens. In addition, the company offers electroluminescent lamps for backlighting hand-held instruments, such as cell phone keypads, watches, monochrome flat screens, and MP3 players; and driver ICs for driving non-impact printers and plotters. Further, it provides high voltage amplifier ICs to drive optical micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) for use in optical switching applications in the telecommunications market; high voltage electronic switch ICs for use in telephones; high voltage ICs for use as ring generators; and protection ICs for line cards. Additionally, the company offers ICs and DMOS devices primarily for various industrial applications. It markets and sells its products through direct sales personnel, independent sales representatives, and distributors primarily to original equipment manufacturers of electronic products. The company was founded in 1975 and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California.
- [By Lauren Pollock]Among the companies with shares expected to actively trade in Monday’s session are AutoNavi Holdings Ltd.(AMAP), Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc.(DKS) and Supertex Inc.(SUPX)
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Titan International Inc (TWI)
Titan International, Inc. (Titan), incorporated on March 21, 1983, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in the manufacturing of wheels and tires. The Company operates in three segments: agricultural, earthmoving/construction and consumer. Titan produces a range of specialty products to meet the specifications of original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and aftermarket customers in the agricultural, earthmoving/construction and consumer markets. Titanâ€™s earthmoving/ construction market includes wheels and tires supplied to the mining industry, while the consumer market includes products for all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and recreational/utility trailers. The Companyâ€™s customers include AGCO Corporation, CNH Global N.V., Deere & Company and Kubota Corporation.
In August 2012, it acquired Planet Corporation Group (Planet). Titan acquired 56% of the Corporation. In December 2012, Titan acquired 100% (Titan Europe).
Titanâ€™s agricultural rims, wheels and tires are manufactured for use on various agricultural and forestry equipment, including tractors, combines, skidders, plows, planters and irrigation equipment, and are sold directly to OEMs and to the aftermarket through independent distributors, equipment dealers and Titanâ€™s own distribution centers. The wheels and rims range in diameter from 9 to 54 inches. Titanâ€™s agricultural tires range from approximately 1 foot to approximately 7 foot in outside diameter and from 5 to 49 inches in width. The Company offers the added value of delivering a complete wheel and tire assembly to customers.
The Company manufactures rims, wheels and tires for various types of off-the-road (OTR) earthmoving, mining, military and construction equipment, including skid steers, aerial lifts, cranes, graders and levelers, scrapers, self-propelled shovel loaders, articulated dump trucks, load transporters, haul trucks and backhoe loaders. The earthmoving/construction market is often referred to as OTR, an acronym for off-the-road. The Company provides OEM and aftermarket customers with a range of earthmoving/construction wheels ranging in diameter from 20 to 63 inches and in weight from 125 pounds to 7,000 pounds. The 63-inch diameter wheel is the manufactured in North America for the earthmoving/construction market. Titanâ€™s earthmoving/construction tires range from approximately 3 feet to approximately 13 feet in outside diameter and in weight from 50 pounds to 12,500 pounds. The Company offers the added value of wheel and tire assembly for certain applications in the earthmoving/construction market.
Titan manufactures bias truck tires in Latin America, provides wheels and tires and assembles brakes, actuators and components for the domestic boat, recreational and utility trailer markets. Titan also offers select products for all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), turf, and golf car applications. Titan produces a variety of tires for the consumer market.
The Company competes with Carlisle Companies Incorporated, GKN Wheels, Ltd., Topy Industries, Ltd, Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Berco and Caterpillar.
- [By Rich Duprey]It probably didn’t help any when the French government approached the CEO of tire maker Titan International (NYSE: TWI ) , Maurice “The Grizz” Taylor, to see if he would be interested in buying the plant and was greeted with a giant guffaw instead.
- [By Rich Duprey]Similarly, you certainly won’t find Titan International’s (NYSE: TWI ) Â Maurice “The Grizz” Taylor begging forgiveness for telling the French to go pound salt when asked to take over Goodyear’s business there.Â “How stupid do you think we are?” he asked. “The French workforce gets paid high wages but works only three hours. They get one hour for breaks and lunch, talk for three and work for three.” He concluded, “You can keep the so-called workers.”Â
- [By Travis Hoium]What: Shares of giant tire manufacturer Titan International (NYSE: TWI ) fell 13% today after being downgraded by analysts.
So what: Jefferies downgraded the stock from buy to hold, citing the probability of profit and sales pressure. William Blair also downgraded the stock to market perform and lowered its price target to $21. Â
- [By Chris Hill]In this installment of Investor Beat, Motley Fool analysts Jason Moser and Ron Gross explain why they’re keeping a close watch on shares of Titan International (NYSE: TWI ) and Joy Global (NYSE: JOY ) .
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: JAKKS Pacific Inc.(JAKK)
JAKKS Pacific, Inc. designs, produces, markets, and distributes toys and consumer products worldwide. The company offers traditional toys and electronics, such as action figures and accessories, including licensed characters under Pokemon name; toy vehicles and accessories under Road Champs, Fly Wheels, and MXS names; electronics products under EyeClops Bionic Eye, Laser Challenge, and Plug It In & Play TV Games names; dolls and accessories, including small and large dolls, fashion dolls, and baby dolls under Disney Princess, Disney Fairies, Cabbage Patch Kids, Taylor Swift, Fancy Nancy, Hello Kitty, Graco, and Fisher Price names; private label products; pet products, including toys, consumables, and accessories under American Kennel Club and The Cat Fanciers? Association; and vehicles, play sets, plush products, construction toys, and infant and pre-school toys. It also offers role play, novelty, and seasonal toys, including food play and activity kits under Girl Gourmet, Creepy Crawlers, and BloPens names; role-play, dress-up, pretend play, and novelty products for boys and girls under Black & Decker, McDonald?s, Dirt Devil, Disney Princess, Disney Fairies, Barbie, and Dora the Explorer names; indoor and outdoor kids? furniture, activity trays, tables and room d Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Lauren Pollock]Toy maker Jakks Pacific Inc.(JAKK) posted better-than-expected results, including revenue not falling as much as feared and profit surprisingly rising. Shares surged 22% to $6.03 premarket.
- [By Sean Williams]What: The fun and games are over for toy and consumer products maker JAKKS Pacific (NASDAQ: JAKK ) , which saw its shares get mauled by 37% after reporting its second-quarter results.
- [By Rick Munarriz]Shares of JAKKS Pacific (NASDAQ: JAKK ) shed roughly a third of their value today after the company posted disappointing quarterly results and nixed its quarterly dividend.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: MWI Veterinary Supply Inc.(MWIV)
MWI Veterinary Supply, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the distribution of animal health products to veterinarians in the United States and the United Kingdom. It primarily offers pharmaceuticals, vaccines, parasiticides, diagnostics, capital equipment, supplies, specialty products, veterinary pet food, and nutritional products. The company?s pharmaceutical products include anesthetics, analgesics, antibiotics, ophthalmics, and hormones; vaccine products consist of small animal, equine, and production animal biologicals; and parasiticides are used for control of fleas, ticks, flies, mosquitoes, and internal parasites. Its diagnostics products comprise consumable in-clinic tests for detecting heartworm, lyme, feline leukemia, and parvovirus, as well as consumable products for measuring blood chemistry, electrolyte balance, and cell counts; capital equipment products include anesthesia machines, surgical monitors, diagnostic equipment, dental machines, cage s, lights, and x-ray machines; and supplies consists of syringes, instruments, bandages, IV products, surgical consumables, grooming materials, and other small equipment items. The company?s veterinary pet foods products include foods for specialty diets and premium pet foods; and nutritional products comprise dietary supplements, vitamins, dental chews, and specialty treats. As of September 30, 2011, it served approximately 24,000 veterinary practices in the United States; and 1,500 veterinary practices in the United Kingdom. The company was formerly known as MWI Holdings, Inc. and changed its name to MWI Veterinary Supply, Inc. in April 2005. MWI Veterinary Supply, Inc. was founded in 1976 and is headquartered in Boise, Idaho.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on MWI Veterinary Supply (Nasdaq: MWIV ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
- [By Rupert Hargreaves]Pet-related companies are highly sought after
Having said that, it would appear that in comparison to the rest of the pet-related sector, Zoetis is fairly valued. Peer MWI Veterinary Supply (NASDAQ: MWIV ) trades at 27 times forward earnings, and again the company is highly defensive, engaging in the distribution of animal health products to veterinarians in the United States and the United Kingdom. Veterinary supply is exposed to the same demand factors as Zoetis — greater demand for animal treatments will lead to more demand for the distribution of animal health products.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Overvalued companies include MWI Veterinary (MWIV) andÂ Stericycle (SRCL), while companies with attractive valuations include Cardinal Health (CAH), Selected Medical (SEM). He’s not a fan of Intrexon (XON) but callsÂ Aratana (PETX) a “hidden gem.”
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Pretium Resources Inc (PVG)
Pretium Resources Inc. is an exploration and development company. The Company is engaged in the acquisition, exploration and development of precious metal resource properties in the Americas. Its projects include the Brucejack Project and the Snowfield Project, which are advanced-stage exploration projects located in northwestern British Columbia. The Brucejack Project is a gold-silver exploration project consisted of six mineral claims totaling 3,199.28 hectares in area. As of December 31, 2011, the Brucejack Report was consisted of eight different zones on the West Zone, Bridge Zone, Low Grade Halo Zone, Shore Zone, Galena Hill Zone, Gossan Hill Zone, SG Zone and Valley of Kings (VOK) Zone. As of December 31, 2011, the Company had 100% interest in the Snowfield Project. The Snowfield Project also contains molybdenum and rhenium. The Companyâ€™s subsidiaries include Pretium Exploration Inc. and 0890696 B.C. Ltd. Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Monica Gerson]Pretium Resources (NYSE: PVG) shares fell 3.30% to reach a new 52-week low of $2.93. Pretium Resources shares have dropped 77.54% over the past 52 weeks, while the S&P 500 index has gained 28.53% in the same period.
- [By Holly LaFon]His largest new buys in the first quarter are: Penn Virginia Group Holdings LP (PVG), Wynn Resorts Ltd. (WYNN), Methanex Corp. (MEOH), Solutia Inc. (SOA) and Georgia Gulf (GGC). Of his top eight stocks, five are from the chemicals industry.
- [By Hebba Investments]Therefore the situation is still very bullish for investors in physical gold and the gold ETFs (GLD, CEF, and PHYS). Investors interested in leveraging this situation into higher potential profits may also consider buying gold miners such as Randgold (GOLD), Goldcorp (GG), Yamana Gold (AUY), and any of the other gold miners. Finally, those willing to shoulder much larger risks may consider some of the exploration and micro-cap companies that offer significant profits at a high risk such as Chesapeake Gold (CHPGF.PK), Pretium Resources (PVG), Western Copper (WRN), or any other of the junior exploration companies. Though investors should keep in mind that gold mining companies and explorers do not always rise with a rising gold price – do your research before you invest in the miners.
Top Insurance Stocks For 2014: Alterra Capital Holdings Ltd(ALTE)
Alterra Capital Holdings Limited, together with its subsidiaries, provides specialty insurance and reinsurance products to corporations, public entities, and property and casualty insurers in North America, Europe, and internationally. It offers professional liability products, which include errors and omissions insurance, employment practices liability insurance, and directors and officers insurance; excess liability products, such as excess umbrella liability insurance, excess product liability insurance, excess medical malpractice insurance, and excess product recall insurance; and property insurance, as well as provides airline, general aviation, and aerospace insurance. The company also offers reinsurance products consisting of agriculture, auto, aviation, credit/surety, general casualty, marine and energy, medical malpractice, professional liability, property, whole account, and workers? compensation reinsurance. In addition, it offers general liability, inland mari ne, and ocean marine insurance; accident and health insurance and reinsurance, financial institutions insurance, and surety reinsurance; and employers? and public liability insurance, and medical malpractice insurance, as well as life and annuity reinsurance. The company was formerly known as Max Capital Group Ltd. and changed its name to Alterra Capital Holdings Limited in May 2010. Alterra Capital Holdings Limited was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda.
- [By Steve Symington]About that whale…
If that weren’t enough, Markel also announced this morning it has officially completed its $3 billion acquisition of Alterra (NASDAQ: ALTE ) , which, as I noted back in February, was a radical departure from Markel’s typically smaller buyout targets. While it will undoubtedly take some time to fully integrate Alterra’s operations, management expressed excitement for Alterra’s ability to help Markel expand its global footprint in the insurance and reinsurance market.