With shares of JPMorgan Chase (NYSE:JPM) trading around $53, is JPM an OUTPERFORM, WAIT AND SEE or STAY AWAY? Letâ€™s analyze the stock with the relevant sections of our CHEAT SHEET investing framework:
T = Trends for a Stock’s Movement
JPMorgan Chase is a financial holding company that provides various financial services worldwide. The company is engaged in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small businesses, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. Financial services companies like JPMorgan Chase are essential for well-functioning economies around the world.
Two former JPMorgan Chase have been criminally charged with covering up trading losses related to the London Whale fiasco. Federal prosecutors have charged the duo with falsifying books and records, conspiracy, fraud, and making false filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. â€œThis was not a tempest in a teapot, but rather a perfect storm of individual misconduct and inadequate internal controls,â€ one prosecuting attorney said in an SEC filling.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Strategic Diagnostics Inc.(SDIX)
Strategic Diagnostics Inc., a biotechnology company, develops, commercializes, and markets proprietary products, services, and solutions for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, diagnostics, food safety, and environmental markets. Its life science portfolio includes products and custom services that supply critical reagents used across the life science research and development markets. These products and services include custom antibodies, in-vitro diagnostic-grade antibodies, proprietary critical reagent products, associated bio-processing services, and custom assay design and development services that are sold to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and diagnostic companies, as well as to biomedical research centers. The company also provides Kit products, including immunoassays, which represent advanced technology for the detection of food pathogens and soil contaminants. Its detection technologies allow industrial customers to identify the presence of adulterants, such as chem ical toxins, biological pathogens, and other contaminants, which can compromise human or environmental safety, and/or impact efficiencies of production processes. These products are used in various applications, including food and beverage manufacturing, environmental management, and agriculture and agro-science. The company markets and sells its products in the life sciences, and food safety product categories through a direct sales force, Internet, and a network of distributors, as well as through its corporate partners in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, Europe, and Asia. Strategic Diagnostics Inc. was founded in 1987 and is headquartered in Newark, Delaware.
- [By CRWE]SDIX (Nasdaq:SDIX) – a leading provider of biotechnology-based products and services for a broad range of life science, biotechnology, diagnostic, and food safety applications, expects to release its second quarter 2012 results at approximately 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, August 8, 2012.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Hatteras Financial Corp (HTS)
Hatteras Financial Corp., incorporated on September 19, 2007, is an externally managed mortgage real estate investment trust (REIT) that invests primarily in single-family residential mortgage pass-through securities guaranteed or issued by the United States Government agency (such as the Government National Mortgage Association (Ginnie Mae)), or by the United States Government-sponsored entity (such as the Federal National Mortgage Association, (Fannie Mae)), and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, (Freddie Mac)). The Company is externally managed and advised by its manager, Atlantic Capital Advisors LLC.
The Company focuses on agency securities consisting of mortgage loans with short durations. The agency securities consist of mortgages that have principal and interest payments guaranteed by Ginnie Mae, Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. It invests in both fixed-rate and adjustable-rate agency securities. Adjustable rate mortgages (ARMs) are mortgages that have floating interest rates that reset on a specific time schedule, such as monthly, quarterly or annually, based on a specified index, such as the 12-month moving average of the one-year constant maturity United States Treasury rate (CMT) or the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR). The ARMs it generally invests in, sometimes referred to as hybrid ARMS, have interest rates that are fixed for an initial period (typically three, five, seven or 10 years) and then reset annually thereafter to an increment over a pre-determined interest rate index.
- [By Amanda Alix]A great year for mortgage REITs
American Capital Agency went public in 2008, a year that saw other mREITs such as Hatteras FinancialÂ (NYSE: HTS ) , and Armour ResidentialÂ (NYSE: ARR ) enter the territory as well. Groundbreaker Annaly had shown that the carry trade could be lucrative, and the ultra-low short-term interest rate environment created a perfect climate for new companies to enter the playing field.
- [By Amanda Alix]More mREITs stay the course, but two trim payouts
Despite suffering many tumbles and bruises, several mREITs have announced that their dividends will be unchanged from the previous quarter. Several did so last week, and yesterday saw Hatteras Financial (NYSE: HTS ) , an agency-only trust, keeping its own $0.70 per shareÂ payout the same. Hybrid New York Mortgage Trust (NASDAQ: NYMT ) also kept its dividend stable, at $0.27 per share, in line with its four most recent distributions.
- [By Rich Duprey]Single-family-housing REITÂ Hatteras Financial (NYSE: HTS ) announced yesterday its second-quarter dividend of $0.70 per share, the same rate it’s paid for the past two quarters after cutting the payout 12.5% from $0.80 per share.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Retail Opportunity Investments Corp.(ROIC)
Retail Opportunity Investments Corp., a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in the acquisition, ownership, and management of necessity-based community and neighborhood shopping centers in the eastern and western regions of the United States. As of December 31, 2011, its portfolio consisted of 30 owned retail properties totaling approximately 3.2 million square feet of gross leasable area. The company has elected to be taxed as a REIT, for U.S. federal income tax purposes. The company is based in White Plains, New York.
- [By Holly LaFon]Our disciplined, risk-averse approach has often left us looking up at benchmarks during dynamic bull markets. In a more historically typical market cycle, 2013â€™s results would have given us less to explain or complain about. But these calendar-year results came after several portfolios underperformed their benchmarks in 2012 and 2011. The last three years, then, have left us increasingly frustrated, even as the reasons behind these underperformances are clear. Small-cap companies with high returns on invested capital (ROIC) and low-debt balance sheets have, as a group, underperformed their more leveraged counterparts. In addition, more economically sensitive cyclical sectors, including Energy, Industrials, Materials, and Information Technologyâ€”have trailed more defensive areas (such as Utilities) and less conservatively capitalized, higher-yielding vehicles (e.g., REITs and MLPs) where we have little if any exposure. Over the last several years, we have found many of what we think are highly attractive opportunities in cyclical sectors and/or in companies with strong balance sheets and high ROIC. Most have had only limited participation in the rally that began in March 2009. There have also been industries, such as precious metals & mining, that did very well in the initial phase of the recovery following the Financial Crisis before they began to correct sharply in 2011 and are yet to recover. So while nearly all sectors and industries across all asset classes did well in 2013, companies with many of the qualities that we look for have not yet led for long. Our approach leads us to conservatively capitalized companies with high ROIC and strong cash flow characteristics, among other attributes. Investors have still not gravitated to these kinds of companies in comparatively large numbers. However, itâ€™s worth mentioning that many quality small-cap companies did very well on an absolute basis in 2013, particularly in the yearâ€™s last eight months.
- [By Brian Stoffel]Retail Opportunity Investment Corp. (NASDAQ: ROIC )
Fool analyst Michael Olsen tends to focus on overlooked companies that offer up deals based on the difference between a stock’s price and its intrinsic value. His recent pick of ROIC stock is right down his alley.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: ITT Educational Services Inc (ESI)
ITT Educational Services, Inc. (ITT/ESI), incorporated in 1946, is a provider of postsecondary degree programs in the United States. As of December 31, 2011, the Company offered master, bachelor and associate degree programs to approximately 73,000 students. As of December 31, 2011, the Company had 144 locations (including 141 campuses and three learning sites) in 39 states. In addition, ITT/ESI offered one or more of its online programs to students who were located in 48 states. The Company designs its education programs, after consultation with employers and other constituents, to help graduates prepare for careers in various fields involving their areas of study. The Company provides career-oriented education programs under the Daniel Webster College (DWC) name. During the year ended December 31, 2011, it began operations at 11 new ITT Technical Institute campuses and discontinued operations at one learning site. As of December 31, 2011, the ITT Technical Institutes offered 55 degree programs in various fields of study across the schools of study, such as information technology (IT); electronics technology; drafting and design; business; criminal justice, and breckinridge school of nursing and health sciences. As of December 31, 2011, the Company had 144 locations (including 141 campuses and three learning sites) in 39 states, which provided postsecondary education to approximately 73,000 students. In 2011, the Company derived approximately 98% of its revenue from tuition and approximately 2% from the sale of tool kits and fees, charged to and paid by, or on behalf of, its students. On August 1, 2013, the Company announced that it has acquired Cable Holdings, LLC.
At most of its campuses, ITT/ESI organizes the academic schedule for programs of study on the basis of four 12-week academic quarters in a calendar year, with new students beginning at the start of each academic quarter. At these campuses, students taking a full-time course load can complete its associate degree programs in eight academic quarters, bachelor degree programs in 14 or 15 academic quarters and a master degree program in six or seven academic quarters. ITT/ESI offers classes in residence programs in 3.5- to 5.5-hour sessions three days a week, Monday through Saturday, with all program courses taught entirely or partially in residence; or sessions that are scheduled two to three days a week, Monday through Saturday, with certain program courses taught entirely or partially online over the Internet academic quarters. Depending on student enrollment, class sessions at the most of its campuses are available in the morning, afternoon and evening. The courses that are taught online over the Internet are delivered through an asynchronous learning network and have a prescribed schedule for completion of the coursework. In addition to courses directly related to a studentâ€™s program of study, its programs also include general education courses in the humanities, composition, mathematics, the sciences and the social sciences.
- [By John Reese]Indeed, in 2013, the Greenblatt-based portfolio has bounced back strong, returning more than 50%. Below is a look at its current holdings.
EBIX, Inc. (EBIX)
Western Refining (WNR)
ITT Educational Services (ESI)
Science Applications International (SAIC)
Weight Watchers International (WTW)
AmSurg Corp. (AMSG)
PDL BioPharma (PDLI)
AFC Enterprises (AFCE)
Subscribe to Validea hereâ€¦
- [By Ben Levisohn]Last week, ITT Educational Services (ESI) filed an 8-K disclosing that it was being investigated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to determine whether it broke any rules in how it marketed loans.
ReutersThe filing, however, hasn’t had much of an impact. Shares of ITT Educational Services have dropped just 3.4% this week but have gained 95% so far in 2013. Corinthian Colleges (COCO), on the other hand, has dropped 27% this year, while DeVry Education (DV) has gained 50% and Apollo Education (APOL) has advanced 30%.
So why don’t investors care about the announcement? First of all, investors have known this was coming. Second, no one believes it will result in a damaging fine. William Blair’s Timo Connor explains:
We view as unlikely a severely punitive settlement against ITT Education from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) related to its continuing investigation of marketing practices on third-party student lending programs, and we believe the risk is a manageable one for ITT. We continue to like the companyâ€™s competitive positioning in capacity-constrained, growing educational markets like drafting, electronics, IT, and nursing, and believe the stock will distance itself from legacy student loan issues in the coming years…
Connor‘s optimism also stems from previous penalties assessed by the CFPB: The median fine has been $3.9 million, or just 0.4% of ITT Educational Services market cap, Connor says.
Shares of ITT Educational Services have gained 1.8% to $33.87 today at 1:09 p.m., while Corinthian Colleges has risen 1.7% to $1.79, DeVry Education advanced 0.6% to $35.48 and Apollo Education has ticked down 0.1% to $27.17.
- [By Dan Caplinger]Outside the Dow, stocks generally rose somewhat more strongly. ITT Educational Services (NYSE: ESI ) soared 30% despite reporting decreasing new-student and total enrollment figures in its quarterly report. Net income dropped by nearly half on a 16% decline in revenue, but expectations were so low for the for-profit education company that those results managed to drive the stock higher. The episode is a good reminder that the beaten-down sector has plenty of room for growth if the worst-case scenarios for the industry don’t play out.
- [By Jeremy Bowman]So what: ITT Educational Services (NYSE: ESI ) reported earnings earlier this morning, shooting up 30%, and earlier this week,Â Capella Education (NASDAQ: CPLA ) jumped 15% after reporting, and is now approaching a new 52-week high. The education sector has gotten hammered over the last couple of years, but investors seem to be getting the feeling that enrollment numbers are bottoming. One exception was DeVry (NYSE: DV ) , which fell sharply after reporting earnings earlier this week, but still managed to gain 5.8% today.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Vitamin Shoppe Inc (VSI)
Vitamin Shoppe, Inc., incorporated on September 27, 2002, is a specialty retailer and direct marketer of vitamins, minerals, herbs, specialty supplements, sports nutrition and other health and wellness products. During the fiscal year ended December 29, 2012 (fiscal 2012), the Company marketed over 400 different brands, as well as its own brands, which include Vitamin Shoppe, BodyTech and True Athlete. The Company sells its products through two segments: retail and direct. In the Company’s retail segment, the Company had a total of 286 new stores during the fiscal 2012. As of January 26, 2013, the Company operated 579 stores in 42 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Ontario, Canada, primarily located in high-traffic regional retail centers. In the Company’s direct segment, the Company sells its products directly to consumers through the Internet, primarily at www.vitaminshoppe.com. On February 14, 2013, Vitamin Shoppe Mariner, Inc. acquired Super Supplements, Inc.
The Company’s retail segment includes its retail store format. Its retail stores are is located in diverse geographic and demographic markets, ranging from urban locations in New York City, to suburban locations in Plantation, Florida and Manhattan Beach, California. As of January 26, 2013, the Company leased the property for all of its 579 stores. The Company’s primary warehouse and distribution center and corporate headquarters are consolidated into a leased, 230,000 square-foot facility.
The Company offers a selection of vitamins, minerals, herbs, homeopathic remedies, specialty supplements, such as fish oil, probiotics, glucosamine and Co Q10, sports nutrition, weight management, as well as natural bath and beauty, pet supplements and options for a healthy home. The Company’s offers includes approximately 17,500 stock keeping units (SKUs) from over 400 brands. The Company offers products to its assortment in its Vitamin Shoppe, BodyTech, True Athlete and Optimal Pet brands, which include products, such as Ultimate Man, Ultimate Women, Whey Tech Pro 24 and Natural Whey Protein. The Company also offers an assortment from national brands, such as Optimum Nutrition, USP Labs, Garden of Life, Cytosport, Nature’s Way, Solaray and Solgar. This assortment is designed to provide the Company’s customers with a selection of available product in order to help them achieve their health and wellness goals.
The vitamin and mineral product category includes multi-vitamins, which many consider to be a foundation of a healthy regimen, lettered vitamins, such as Vitamin A, C, D, E, and B-complex, along with trace minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, chromium and zinc. Certain herbs can be taken to help support specific body systems, including ginkgo to support brain activity and milk thistle to help support liver function, as well as other less common herbs, such as holy basil for stress support and blood sugar control and black cohosh for menopause support. Herbal products include whole herbs, standardized extracts, herb combination formulas and teas.
Categories of specialty supplements include omega fatty acids, probiotics and condition specific formulas. Certain specialty supplements, such as organic greens, psyllium fiber and soy proteins, are taken for added support during various life stages. Folic acid is specifically useful during pregnancy. Super antioxidants, such as coenzyme Q-10, grapeseed extract and pycnogenol, are taken to address specific conditions. High ORAC (oxygen radical absorptive capacity) fruit concentrates like gogi, mangosteen, pomegranate and blueberry are taken to prevent oxygen radical damage. Other specialty supplement formulas are focused to support specific organs, biosystems and body functions. The Company offers approximately 3,000 SKUs in sports nutrition.
The Company’s other category include natural beauty and personal care, diet and weight management supplements, natural pet food, and low carb foods. Natural beauty and personal care products offer an alternative to traditional products that often contain synthetic and/or other ingredients that the Company’s customers find objectionable. The Company offers approximately 3,000 SKUs for its other category. The Company’s natural pet products include nutritionally balanced foods and snacks along with condition specific supplements such as glucosamine for joint health. Its variety of diet and weight management products range from low calorie bars, drinks and meal replacements to energy tablets, capsules and liquids.
The Company competes with Vitamin World, GNC, Whole Foods, Costco, Wal-Mart, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Amazon.com, Puritan’s Pride, Vitacost.com, Bodybuilding.com, Doctors Trust, Swanson and iHerb.
- [By John Udovich]Vitamin Shoppe Inc (NYSE: VSI), Books-A-Million, Inc (NASDAQ: BAMM) and Perfumania Holdings, Inc (NASDAQ: PERF) have the dubious distinction of beingÂ the worst performing small capÂ specialty retail stocks for this year (according to Finviz.com) with losses of 4.85% andÂ 3% and a gain of 0.61%, respectively, since the start of the year (See my previous article: This Yearâ€™s Best Performing Small Cap Specialty Retail Stocks? UNTD, TA & HZO). I should mention that the definition of specialty retail stocks might vary from one stock screener to another, but whatâ€™s clear is that these three small cap retail stocks have been heading in the wrong direction for investors for much of this year. Â With that in mind, what sort of performance should investors expect from these small cap specialty retail stocks on Black Friday and for the all important holiday season? Here is what you need to be aware of:
- [By Jeremy Bowman]What: Shares of the Vitamin Shoppe (NYSE: VSI ) were looking under the weather today, falling as much as 10% after a disappointing earnings report.
- [By Brian Pacampara]Sales growth this last quarter was up only about 6%, but net income per share was up 21%. They pay a $0.60 dividend which gives them a dividend yield of 1.4%. Their cash flow yield is 4.6%, so they could easily raise their dividend. They are by far the leader in a very fragmented industry. I believe both [Vitamin Shoppe (NYSE: VSI ) ] and GNC will do well and I think they may make a fair pairing in a portfolio. Stability versus growth.
They do have $1.1 billion in debt. But they generate about $200 million in cash flow a year and they have $174 million in cash, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Their cash flow is very high, so in my opinion, is reason enough to believe they will beat the S&P 500 over the next ten years.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Northland Power Inc (NPIFF.PK)
Northland Power Inc. (Northland) owns or has an economic interests, through its subsidiaries, in operating power-producing facilities and a pipeline of construction and development projects. Its operating assets consist of facilities, which produce electricity from natural gas and renewable sources. Its subsidiaries include Iroquois Falls Corp., which owns the Iroquois Falls Facility; Kingston LP, which owns the Kingston Facility; Thorold LP, which owns the Thorold Facility; Mont Miller LP; Jardin LP, which owns the Jardin wind farm; DK Windpark Kavelstorf GmbH & Co. KG and DK Burgerwindpark Eckolstadt GmbH & Co. KG, which own the German Wind Farms; Mont Louis LP, which owns the Mont Louis Wind Farm; Spy Hill LP, which owns the Spy Hill Facility, and North Battleford LP, which owns the North Battleford Facility. Northland owns a 19% interest in Panda Energy Corporation, which through its wholly owned subsidiaries owns the 230 mega-watts combined-cycle Panda-Brandywine facility.Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Markus Aarnio]Emera’s competitors include Northland Power (NPIFF.PK), Fortis (FRTSF.PK), and Atlantic Power (AT). Northland Power has seen insider buying in August and has a dividend yield of 7.6%. Fortis has seen both insider buying and insider selling in August. Fortis has a dividend yield of 4.1%. Atlantic Power saw insider buying last time in April. Atlantic Power has a dividend yield of 9.4%.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: LRAD Corporation(LRAD)
LRAD Corporation engages in the design, development, and commercialization of directed sound technologies and products in North America, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. The company develops and delivers directed acoustic products that beam, focus, and control sound over short and long distances. It offers Long Range Acoustic Device, which creates directed acoustic beam to communicate at operational ranges in high ambient noise environments, primarily for military applications. The company also provides SoundSaber thin film magnetic speaker technology that provides high clarity throughout the audio range for emergency and mass notification, public address, and other sound applications. Its SoundSaber hardened panels are used in acoustic environments, such as hangar bays, industrial buildings, airports, and other facilities. LRAD Corporation sells its products directly to government, military, large end-users, and defense-related companies. The company was formerly known as American Technology Corporation and changed its name to LRAD Corporation in March 2010. LRAD Corporation was founded in 1980 and is based in San Diego, California.
- [By gurujx]LRAD (LRAD): CFO/Secretary Katherine McDermott Sold 38,204 Shares
CFO/Secretary Katherine McDermott sold 38,204 shares of LRAD stock on Aug. 28 at the average price of $1.57. Katherine H McDermott owns at least 17,800 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 10.19% since.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Continental Gold Ltd (CGOOF.PK)
Continental Gold Limited is an exploration-stage company. The Company is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, evaluation and development of principally gold resource properties in Colombia. The Company holds the rights to explore and develop six properties in Colombia totaling approximately 122,317 hectares. The Buritica project encompasses an aggregate area of 57,588 hectares and is located about 75 kilometers northwest of Medellin in the Antioquia Department of north-western Colombia. The Berlin project covers an aggregate area of 25,059 hectares. The project area is located 90 kilometers north of Medellin in the Antioquia Department. The Dominical project encompasses an aggregate area of 24,327 hectares and is located in southern Colombia in the Cauca Department. The project area is consists of four registered concessions totaling 5,590 hectares, five pending registration concessions totaling 3,426 hectares and 10 concession applications covering 15,311 hectares. Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Markus Aarnio]Other gold miners that have seen intensive insider buying during the past four months include St. Andrew Goldfields (STADF.PK), Continental Gold (CGOOF.PK), Kinross (KGC) and Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM).
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Warren Resources Inc.(WRES)
Warren Resources, Inc., an independent energy company, engages in the exploration, development, and production of onshore crude oil and gas reserves in the United States. It primarily explores for oil reserves in the Wilmington field in California; and natural gas in the Washakie Basin in Wyoming. The company was founded in 1990 and is headquartered in New York, New York.
- [By Rich Smith]New York City-based Warren Resources (NASDAQ: WRES ) has a new CFO.
On Monday, the independent oil and gas company announced that it has promoted current Chief Financial Officer Timothy A. Larkin to the position of executive vice president for mergersÂ and acquisitions, after 18 years’ service in the former capacity. Taking his place will be Corporate Controller Stewart P. Skelly, now promoted to the CFO’s post.
- [By gurujx]Warren Resources, Inc. (WRES): Vice President & CFO Stewart P Skelly Sold 54,000 Shares
Vice President & CFO Stewart P Skelly sold 54,000 shares of WRES stock on 09/19/2013 at the average price of $2.91. Stewart P Skelly owns at least 116,545 shares after this. The price of the stock has increased by 1.37% since.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: iShares U.S. Healthcare Providers ETF (IHF)
iShares Dow Jones U.S. Health Care Providers Index Fund (the Fund) seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance of the Dow Jones U.S. Select Health Care Providers Index (the Index). The Index measures the performance of the healthcare providers sector of the United States equity market. The Index includes companies that are healthcare providers, such as owners and operators of health maintenance organizations, hospitals, clinics, dentists, opticians, nursing homes, rehabilitation and retirement centers.
The Fund will concentrate its investments in a particular industry or group of industries to approximately the same extent as the Index is so concentrated. Since all of the securities included in the Index are issued by companies in the healthcare providers sector, the Fund will be concentrated in the healthcare providers industry. The Fundâ€™s investment advisor is Barclays Global Fund Advisors.
- [By John Udovich]Small cap BioScrip Inc (NASDAQ: BIOS) is a specialized health care services stock thatâ€™sÂ seeking to roll-up the heavily fragmentedÂ home infusion care marketÂ â€“ meaning its worth taking a closer look at the stock and its performance against healthcare ETFs like the iShares Dow Jones US Health Care ETF (NYSEARCA: IHF) or the Health Care SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA: XLV). However,Â BioScrip has taken a beating and I should note that we have recently added shares to our SmallCap Network Elite Opportunity (SCN EO) portfolioÂ because we believe the company is on the verge of turning a profit and is potentially undervalued.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Arabian American Development Co (ARSD)
Arabian American Development Company, incorporated in 1967, is engaged in manufacturing various specialty petrochemical products. As of December 31, 2011, the Company owned a 37% interest in Al Masane Al Kobra Mining Company and a 55% interest in Pioche Ely Valley Mines, Inc (PEVM). The Companyâ€™s United States activities are primarily conducted through a wholly owned subsidiary, Texas Oil and Chemical Co. II, Inc. (TOCCO). TOCCO owns of South Hampton Resources Inc. (South Hampton), and South Hampton owns of Gulf State Pipe Line Company, Inc. (Gulf State).
South Hampton owns and operates a specialty petrochemical facility near Silsbee, Texas, which produces petrochemical solvents and other petroleum based products, including isopentane, normal pentane, isohexane and hexane, which is used in the production of polyethylene, packaging, polypropylene, expandable polystyrene, poly-iso/urethane foams, and in the catalyst support industry. Gulf State owns and operates three pipelines that connect the South Hampton facility to a natural gas line, to South Hamptonâ€™s truck and rail loading terminal and to a petroleum products pipeline owned by an unaffiliated third party.
South Hampton owns and operates a specialty petrochemical facility near Silsbee, Texas which is approximately 30 miles north of Beaumont, Texas, and 90 miles east of Houston. The facility consists of seven operating units which, while interconnected, make distinct products through differing processes: a Penhex Unit; a Reformer; a Cyclo-pentane Unit; an Aromax Unit; an Aromatics Hydrogenation Unit; a White Oil Fractionation Unit, and a Hydrocarbon Processing Demonstration Unit.
Gulf State owns and operates three 8-inch diameter pipelines aggregating approximately 50 miles in length connecting South Hamptonâ€™s facility to: a natural gas line, South Hamptonâ€™s truck and rail loading terminal and a petroleum products pipeline system owned by an unaffiliated third party. The Penhex Unit has the capacity to process approximately 6,700 barrels per day, with the Reforming Unit, the Aromax Unit, and the Cyclo-Pentane Unit further processing streams produced by the Penhex Unit. The Aromatics Hydrogenation Unit has a capacity of approximately 400 barrels per day, and the White Oils Fractionation Unit has a capacity of approximately 3,000 barrels per day. The Hydrocarbon Processing Demonstration Unit has a capacity of approximately 300 gallons per day. The facility generally consists of equipment commonly found in petrochemical facilities, such as fractionation towers and hydrogen treaters except the facility is adapted to produce specialized products. South Hampton produces eight distinct product streams and markets several combinations of blends as needed in various customersâ€™ applications.
The Reformer and Aromax units are operated as needed to support the Penhex and Cyclo-pentane Units. The other two operating units at the plant site, an Aromatics Hydrogenation Unit and a White Oils Fractionation Unit, are operated as two, independent and completely segregated processes. These units are dedicated to the needs of two different toll processing customers. Products may be sold directly from South Hamptonâ€™s storage tanks or transported to the customersâ€™ location for storage and marketing. South Hampton, in support of the petrochemical operation, owns approximately 75 storage tanks with total capacity approaching 225,000 barrels, and 95 acres of land at the plant site, 55 acres of which are developed. South Hampton also owns a truck and railroad loading terminal consisting of storage tanks, four rail spurs, and truck and tank car loading facilities on approximately 53 acres of which 13 acres are developed.
The Companyâ€™s mineral interest in the United States is its 55% ownership interest in an inactive corporation, PEVM. PEVMâ€™s properties include 48 patented and 5 unpatented claims totaling approximately 1,500 acres. All of the claims are located in Lincoln County, Nevada.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on Arabian American Development (NYSE: ARSD ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
- [By Seth Jayson]Arabian American Development (NYSE: ARSD ) reported earnings on June 26. Here are the numbers you need to know.
The 10-second takeaway
For the quarter ended March 31 (Q1), Arabian American Development beat expectations on revenues and beat expectations on earnings per share.
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Powershares Dynamic Networking Portfolio (PXQ)
PowerShares Dynamic Networking Portfolio (the Fund) seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield of an equity index called the Dynamic Networking Intellidex Index (the Networking Intellidex). The Networking Intellidex consists of stocks of 30 United States networking companies. These are companies that are principally engaged in the development, manufacture, sale or distribution of products, services or technologies that support the flow of electronic information, including voice, data, images and commercial transactions. These companies may include providers of telecommunications and networking equipment, data storage, systems software, Internet hardware, including servers, routers, switches and related equipment, systems for data encryption and security, Internet services, including hosting and commercial exchanges, fiber optics, satellites, cable equipment, and other companies involved in supporting the flow of information. Stocks are selected principally on the basis of their capital appreciation potential as identified by the AMEX (the Intellidex Provider) pursuant to its Intellidex methodology. The Fundâ€™s investment advisor is PowerShares Capital Management LLC.
The Fund will normally invest at least 80% of its total assets in common stocks of networking companies. The Fund will normally invest at least 90% of its total assets in common stocks that comprise the Networking Intellidex. The Networking Intellidex is adjusted quarterly, and the Fund, using an indexing investment approach, attempts to replicate the performance of the Networking Intellidex. The Fund generally will invest in all of the stocks comprising the Networking Intellidex in proportion to their weightings in the Networking Intellidex.
- [By John Udovich]Just before Thanksgiving, small cap networking stock Infoblox Inc (NYSE: BLOX) sank 28.65% on guidance that was below expectations, but the stock has still outperformed the year-to-dateÂ performance ofÂ networking ETF like the PowerShares Dynamic Networking ETF (NYSEARCA: PXQ) and iShares S&P North American Networking ETF (NYSEARCA: IGN). So what went wrong and could investors have just overeacted?
Top Growth Stocks For 2014: Rostelekom OAO (ROSYY)
Rostelecom is a telecommunications services provider and carrier of domestic long distance (DLD) and international long distance (ILD) traffic in the Russian Federation. The Company owns and operates a trunk telecommunications network and carries the bulk of Russia’s long-distance and international traffic. The Company renders domestic and international long-distance telecommunications services to end users and provides traffic throughput services to Russian operators, including each of Russia’s seven inter-regional companies (IRCs) and alternative operators. In addition, the Company provides telecommunications services to various government entities across Russia and ensures the operation of the ground-based network of television and radio broadcasting channels. In December 2008, through Westelcom, its wholly owned subsidiary, Rostelecom acquired an additional 15.2% interest in CJSC Incom (Incom). Subsequently Incom became a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company. In December 2008, it sold 10.87% interest in CJSC Expo-Telecom.
In February 2008, the Company sold its 10.97% interest in Golden Telecom. In March 2008, the Company sold its 10.30% interest in OJSC AVIANET. In July 2008, Rostelecom acquired a 68.42% interest in OJSC RTComm.RU (RTComm.RU). In September 2008, the Company sold its 15% interest in CJSC Transportation Digital Networks.
The Company has entered into service contracts with the IRCs and other operators of local and intra-regional networks to act as its regional agents. In this capacity, the Companyâ€™s agents bill end users, prepare, print and deliver invoices and collect payments from end users and perform customer service functions. Its trunk network, which transmits a Russia’s domestic and international long-distance traffic, comprises approximately 150,000 kilometers of digital and analog lines.
The Companyâ€™s primary network consists of trunk cables linked to the IRCs networks and to its international exchanges for connections with foreign operators, as well as a satellite communications network. As of December 31, 2008, the Companyâ€™s digital network comprised 49,987 kilometers, including 35,291 kilometers of fiber optic lines (FOLs) and 14,696 kilometers of digital radio-relay lines.
As of December 31, 2008, the Company owned 13 international exchanges, which allow for ILD traffic management, including four in Moscow, two in St. Petersburg (Lyuban) and one each in Rostov-on-Don, Samara, Ekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Khabarovsk, Kaliningrad and Murmansk. The combined capacity of these switches was 235,500 channels. In addition, the Company had 15 transit and six multi-transit domestic long-distance exchanges interconnected to its telecommunications network for traffic transit that provide access to DLD services to local users. The domestic long-distance exchanges and their connecting digital channels constitute an integrated services digital network (ISDN) with channel switches, to which the networks of IRCs and alternative operators are connected. The trunk exchanges of Moscow and Pavlov Posad route domestic long-distance traffic between switching centers, as well as directly to and from end users.
As of December 31, 2008, the Companyâ€™s domestic long-distance trunk network consisted of 675,300 digital and 900 analog channels. Rostelecom provides domestic and international ISDN services through 76 trunk exchanges. The Company has an open network of multimedia communications. Connected to this network are subscriber units in 76 Russian regions and 13 retail outlets.
Rostelecomâ€™s main satellite communications network is operated by 16 nodal land-based stations located in Russia. The Company also operates a second satellite communications network, Reserv, which comprises one central and one periphery land-based station. To enable its operation, it leases channels from OJSC Gazcom, which operates earth satellite vehicle Yamal-200. The Company rents domestic and international fixed satellite channels from FSUE Space Communications, CJSC SatComLine, CJSC SvyazContactInform, OJSC YamalTelecom and CJSC Zond Holding, which are Russian satellite telecommunications companies that operate satellites in the FSUE Space Communications and Intelsat systems.
The Company competes with TransTelecom, Synterra, FSUE Space Communications, TeliaSonera and Golden Telecom.
- [By Halia Pavliva]The Bloomberg Russia-US gauge slipped 0.4 percent to 104.16, paring its advance this month to 7.7 percent. CTC Media Inc. (CTCM), the Nasdaq-listed Russian television company, rallied 2.6 percent to $12.86, the highest level since April 25. The stock has climbed 22 percent this month, making it the best performer on the Bloomberg-Russia gauge. VimpelCom is the second-biggest gainer on the index this month, followed by OAO Rostelecom (ROSYY), which has increased 17 percent after two months of declines.