DELAFIELD, Wis. (Stockpickr) — Short-sellers hate being caught short a stock that reports a blowout quarter. When this happens, we often see a tradable short squeeze develop as the bears rush to cover their positions to avoid big losses. Even the best short-sellers know that it’s never a great idea to stay short once a bullish earnings report sparks a big short-covering rally.
This is why I scan the market for heavily shorted stocks that are about to report earnings. You only need to find a few of these stocks in a year to help enhance your portfolio returns — the gains become so outsized in such a short time frame that your profits add up quickly.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: Cyberonics Inc (CYBX)
Cyberonics, Inc. (Cyberonics), incorporated in 1987, is a medical device company. The Company is engaged in the design, development, sales and marketing of implantable medical devices that provide a neuromodulation therapy, vagus nerve stimulation therapy (VNS Therapy), for the treatment of refractory epilepsy and treatment-resistant depression (TRD) and other device solutions for the management of epilepsy.VNS Therapy System includes an implantable pulse generator to provide stimulation to the vagus nerve; a lead that connects the generator to the vagus nerve; equipment to assist with implantation surgery; equipment to assist with setting the stimulation parameters for each patient; instruction manuals, and magnets to suspend or induce stimulation manually. The VNS Therapy pulse generator and lead are surgically implanted into patients generally during an outpatient procedure. The VNS Therapy System consists of a pulse generator, a bipolar lead, a programming wand and software and a tunneling tool.
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the Company’s VNS Therapy System in July 1997 for use as an adjunctive therapy in epilepsy patients over 12 years of age for reducing the frequency of partial onset seizures that are refractory or resistant to antiepileptic drugs. Regulatory bodies in Canada, the European Economic Area, certain countries in Eastern Europe, Russia, South America, Africa, Australia and certain countries in Asia, including Japan, China and Taiwan, have approved the VNS Therapy System for the treatment of epilepsy, many without age restrictions or seizure-type limitations. In July 2005, the FDA approved the Company’s VNS Therapy System for the adjunctive long-term treatment of chronic or recurrent depression for patients 18 years of age or older who are experiencing a depressive episode and have not had an adequate response to four or more adequate anti-depressant treatments. Regulatory bodies in the European Economic Area, Canada and Israel have approved the Company’s VNS Therapy System for the treatment of chronic or recurrent depression in patients who are in a treatment-resistant or treatment-intolerant depressive episode without age restrictions.
In February 2011, the Company announced FDA approval of its fifth generation generator, the AspireHC generator. In August 2011, the Company announced that the Company discovered a hardware-related design issue with the AspireHC Model 105 and AspireSR (Seizure Response) Model 106 generators. In December 2011, the FDA approved the Company’s re-designed AspireHC generator, and the Company resumed its limited commercial release of the generator in the United States.
The pulse generator is an implantable, programmable signal generator designed to be coupled with the bipolar lead to deliver mild electrical pulses to the vagus nerve. The pulse generator is a battery-powered device. Before or upon depletion of the battery, the pulse generator may be removed and a new generator implanted in a short, outpatient procedure. The Model 102 (Pulse), Model 102R (Pulse Duo ), Model 103 (Demipulse), Model 104 (Demipulse Duo) and Model 105 (AspireHC), are the VNS Therapy pulse generators the Company offers and are similar in design and manufactures to a cardiac pacemaker.
The bipolar lead conducts the electrical signal from the pulse generator to the vagus nerve. The lead incorporates electrodes, which are self-sizing, minimizing mechanical trauma to the nerve. The lead’s two electrodes and anchor tether wrap around the vagus nerve, and the connector end is tunneled subcutaneously to the upper chest area, where it attaches to the pulse generator. The Company offers three lead models in the United States. The leads are available in two inner spiral diameter sizes to ensure optimal electrode placement on different-sized nerves.
Programming Wand and Software
The Company’s programming wand and software are used to interrogate the implanted pulse generator and to transmit programming information from a handheld computer to the pulse generator via an inductive coupling. Programming capabilities include modification of the pulse generator’s programmable parameters (pulse width, amplitude and frequency and stimulation ON and OFF intervals) and storage and retrieval of telemetry data.
The tunneling tool is a single use, sterile, disposable surgical tool designed to be used during surgical placement of the bipolar lead. The tool is used for subcutaneous tunneling of the lead between the nerve site in the neck and the pulse generator site in the upper chest area.
The accessory pack includes two resistor assemblies used to test the function of the device prior to implantation, the bipolar lead tie-downs and one hex screwdriver. The patient kit includes two magnets, one watch-style and one pager-style.
The Company competes with Medtronic, Inc., NeuroSigma Inc. and CerboMed GmbH.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on Cyberonics (Nasdaq: CYBX ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: Amarantus Bioscience Holdings Inc (AMBS)
Amarantus BioScience Holdings, Inc., formerly Amarantus BioSciences, Inc., incorporated on March 22, 2013, is focuses on developing intellectual property and proprietary technology in order to develop drug candidates and diagnostic blood tests to diagnose and treat human diseases. The Company owns the intellectual property rights to a therapeutic protein known as Mesencephalic-Astrocyte-derived Neurotrophic Factor (MANF), owns the intellectual property rights to biomarkers related to oncology and neurodegeneration named BC-SeraPro and NuroPro respectively, has a license to an Alzheimerâ€™s disease blood test named LymPro, and owns a number of proprietary cell lines called PhenoGuard. MANF was the first therapeutic protein discovered from a PhenoGuard Cell Line. In December 2012, the Company acquired neurodegenerative diagnostic portfolio from Power3 Medical Products. On March 22, 2013, the Company was merged with into Amarantus Bioscience Inc.
The Company also owns an inventory of 88 cell lines that Amarantus refers to as PhenoGuard Cell Lines. MANF is a protein that corrects protein misfolding. The Companyâ€™s MANF product development effort is centered on a therapy for Parkinsonâ€™s disease.
- [By James E. Brumley]Judging from the company it’s keeping Green Automotive Co. (OTCMKTS:GACR) may have just made its way into the upper echelon of small cap stock opportunities. The electric car company joins Elite Pharmaceuticals Inc. (OTCBB:ELTP), Amarantus Bioscience Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB:AMBS), and only three other companies as Wall-Street.com’s “Best 6 Stocks” for January of 2014. As one of the top information resources for investors – particularly in terms of information regarding small and micro cap stocks – being named among the site’s top pick is an accolade for AMBS, ELTP, and GACR. Even more impressive is that Green Automotive Co. was the only consumer-goods name among those six. Amarantus Bioscience Holdings and Elite Pharmaceuticals are biotechnology names… an industry that can and often does attract a lot of attention just by the nature of the business. The other three names making the “Best 6” list were an energy explorer, a power-management technology manufacturer, and prescription/medical food producer. For an electric car manufacturer to make the list speaks quite highly of GACR.
- [By James E. Brumley]At first glance, Amarantus Bioscience Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB:AMBS) doesn’t look like anything more than a volatile mess. It’s up 17% today, but had been up twice that amount this morning. Even more exhausting is the fact AMBS, currently at $0.0529, had been as high as $0.089 and as low as $0.039 within the past three months. Point being, Amarantus Bioscience Holdings has been, and continues to be, all over the map.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: Nike Inc.(NKE)
NIKE, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the design, development, marketing, and sale of footwear, apparel, equipment, and accessory products for men, women, and children worldwide. The company offers products in the categories of running, training, basketball, soccer, sport-inspired casual shoes, and kids? shoes. It also markets footwear designed for baseball, cheerleading, football, golf, lacrosse, outdoor activities, skateboarding, tennis, volleyball, walking, wrestling, and other athletic and recreational uses. In addition, Nike sells sports apparel and accessories, sports-inspired lifestyle apparel, athletic bags, and accessory items; and markets apparel with licensed college, professional team, and league logos. Further, the company sells performance equipment, including bags, socks, sport balls, eyewear, timepieces, electronic devices, bats, gloves, protective equipment, golf clubs, and other equipment designed for sports activities under the brand na me of NIKE; and various plastic products to other manufacturers. It offers products under the trademarks of Cole Haan, Converse, Chuck Taylor, All Star, One Star, Star Chevron, Jack Purcell, Hurley, and Umbro. The company sells its products through retail accounts, its own retail stores and Internet sales, independent distributors, and licensees. NIKE, Inc. was founded in 1964 and is headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon.
- [By Eric Volkman]Getty Images/Scott Olson The demise of Crocs (CROX), it seems, may have been greatly exaggerated. Remember the company’s signature product? Close to a decade ago, those colorful, clunky resin clogs were all the rage. The company that made them couldn’t sell the things fast enough, at one point reaching sales of 50 million pairs in 2007. Then fashion moved on, as it always does, and the economic slowdown started to bite into sales. Crocs plunged from a $168 million net profit in 2007 to a $185 million loss in 2008. In 2009, the company nearly ran out of cash and had a hard time making payroll. But Crocs’ fortunes have improved. In its most recent quarter, the firm posted a loss, but it was narrower than the market was expecting. And it’s found an investor that believes in its future — private equity giant Blackstone Group (BX), which recently provided a $200 million cash investment in return for a block of preferred shares eventually convertible into a stake of around 13 percent of the company. Perhaps the time has come to take those old clogs out of the closet, dust them off, and slip them on for a stroll. Stepping It Up Fashion is highly susceptible to consumer whim. The hot item is never hot for very long, and once consumers move on, it can be hard for the company to recover. In Crocs’ case, this was exacerbated by its limited product line — almost exclusively the clogs. The company learned from its mistakes. Since consumer tastes moved out of clog-land, Crocs has significantly broadened its product line to 300 styles. It now offers boots, flip-flops, deck shoes and slip-ons akin to the casuals from VF Corp.’s (VFC) Vans subsidiary. In terms of profitability, Crocs recovered quickly from its time in the fashion wilderness. From that 2008 bottom-line deficit of $185 million, the company sliced its loss to $42 million the following year, then stepped back into the black in 2010 (to the tune of $68 million). After two straight years of declines, revenue
- [By Paul Ausick]Dow 30 component Nike Inc. (NYSE: NKE) is up 1.36% today and traded at $79.28 in its 52-week range of $53.27 to $80.26 shortly before the closing bell. The athletic gear maker is getting a boost from a solid quarterly report by Foot Locker Inc. (NYSE: FL). Trading volume for Nikeâ€™s shares was about equal to the daily average of around 3.9 million shares.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: New York & Company Inc.(NWY)
New York & Company, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as a specialty retailer of women’s fashion apparel and accessories in the United States. The company offers a range of wear-to-work, and casual apparel and accessories, including pants, jackets, knit tops, blouses, sweaters, denim, T-shirts, activewear, handbags, and jewelry. It sells its products under the New York & Company, Lerner, Lerner New York, New York Style, City Stretch, City Style, and NY&C brand names. The company sells its branded merchandise through its network of retail stores and E-commerce store at nyandcompany.com. As of March 15, 2012, it operated 532 stores in 43 states. The company, formerly known as NY & Co. Group, Inc., was founded in 1918 and is headquartered in New York, New York.
- [By Anna Prior]New York & Co(NWY).’s fiscal third-quarter loss narrowed as the women’s apparel retailer recorded comparable-store-sales growth and benefited from lower costs.
- [By Jeremy Bowman]What: Shares of New York & Company (NYSE: NWY ) were looking sharp, gaining as much as 10% two market days after reporting earnings, as Janney Montgomery Scott today reaffirmed its buy rating and upped its price target by 50% to $6.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: Sterling Consolidated Corp (STCC)
Sterling Consolidated Corp., incorporated on January 31, 2011, is a holding company. The Companyâ€™s operations are conducted through its four subsidiaries: Sterling Seal & Supply, Inc. (Sterling Seal), ADDR Properties, LLC (ADDR), Q5 Ventures, LLC (Q5), and Integrity Cargo Freight Corporation (Integrity). The Company through its subsidiary, Sterling Seal engages primarily in the distribution and sale of O-rings, rubber seals, oil seals, custom molded rubber parts, custom Teflon parts, Teflon rods, O-ring cord, bonded seals, O-ring kits, and stuffing box sealant. The Company also owns real property through its subsidiaries ADDR and Q5. In addition, the Companyâ€™s subsidiary Integrity Cargo Freight Corporation (Integrity) is a freight forwarding business. In September 2013, the Company announced the acquisition of Superior Seals and Service in High Point, NC.
Sterling Seal sells directly to smaller distributors and original equipment manufacturers in need of seals. It offers a catalogue of standard sizes, and will take orders for special sizes not available in the standard catalogue. O-rings and the other products that Sterling Seal sells are used in a variety of industries, including automotive, pump, transmissions, oil and energy, machinery, and packaging. Integrity are primarily responsible for transporting products the Company order from its suppliers back to its warehouse in Neptune, NJ. After Sterling Seal confirms from its supplier that a product is ready to be picked up, Integrity Cargo is responsible for picking up the products and getting them to the dock and delivered to the Sterling Seal warehouse. ADDR owns a 28,000 square foot facility in Neptune, NJ. Q5 Ventures, LLC owns a 5,000 square foot facility in Apopka, Florida, which is used by Sterling Seal for its Florida operations.
- [By Peter Graham]Small cap stocks Muscle Warfare International (OTCMKTS: MWAR), Portlogic Systems Inc (OTCMKTS: PGSY) and Sterling Consolidated Corp (OTCBB: STCC) were all the subject of a few paid promotions as recently as last week but they sure did not start the new week out right because all were sinking on Monday. So are these small cap stocks that are either the subject of promotions or investor awareness campaigns hot or not? Here is a quick reality check:
- [By Peter Graham]Small cap stocks Pulse Network Inc (OTCBB: TPNI), Sterling Consolidated Corp (OTCBB: STCC) and diaDexus, Inc (OTCMKTS: DDXS) have or could start to sizzle for investors. However, I should also mention that two of these stocks have been the subject of paid promotions while a third apparently has not been, and could be the real deal. With that in mind, here is a closer look along with a quick reality check about all three small caps to help you decide whether they are hot or not:
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: HSBC Holdings PLC (HSBC)
HSBC Holdings plc (HSBC), incorporated on January 1, 1959, is a global banking and financial services organizations. As of December 31, 2012, it provided a range of financial services to around 58 million customers through four global businesses: Retail Banking and Wealth Management, Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, and Global Private Banking. Its international network covers 81 countries and territories in six geographical regions; Europe, Hong Kong, Rest of Asia-Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, North America and Latin America. As of December 31, 2012, the Company had an international network of some 6,600 offices in 81 countries and territories in six geographical regions; Europe, Hong Kong, Rest of Asia-Pacific, Middle East and North Africa (â€˜MENAâ€™), North America and Latin America. On May 20, 2012, HSBC Holdings PLC’s wholly owned subsidiary HSBC Bank USA, N.A. and other wholly owned subsidiaries, sold 195 retail branches to First Niagara Bank, N.A. (First Niagara). In May 2012, the Companyâ€™s 70.03% owned subsidiary, HSBC Bank Malta plc, sold its card acquiring business to HSBC Merchant Services Ltd. In June 2012, the Companyâ€™s indirect wholly owned subsidiary, HSBC Iris Investments (Mauritius) Ltd, sold its 4.73% interest in Axis Bank Limited and 4.74% interest in Yes Bank Limited. In July 2012, its subsidiary, HSBC Europe (Netherlands B.V.), sold its 100% interest in HSBC Credit Zrt, to CentralFund Kockazati Tokealap. On March 31, 2013, Enstar Group Ltdâ€™s subsidiary completed the acquisition from Household Insurance Group Holding Company of HSBC Insurance Company of Delaware and Household Life Insurance Company of Delaware, as well as its three subsidiary insurers.
The Companyâ€™s principal banking operations in Europe are HSBC Bank plc in the UK, HSBC France, HSBC Bank A.S. in Turkey, HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c., HSBC Private Bank (Suisse) SA and HSBC Trinkaus & Burkhardt AG. Through these subsidiaries it provides a range of banking, treasury and financial services to personal, commercial and corporate customers across Europe. HSBCâ€™s banking subsidiaries in Hong Kong are The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited and Hang Seng Bank Limited.
The Company offers a range of banking and financial services in the Peopleâ€™s Republic of China, mainly through its local subsidiary, HSBC Bank (China) Company Limited. It also participates indirectly in mainland China through its primary associate, Bank of Communications. Outside mainland China, it conducts business in 21 countries and territories in the Rest of Asia-Pacific region, primarily through branches and subsidiaries of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.
In the Middle East, the Company has network of branches of HSBC Bank Middle East Limited, together with HSBCâ€™s subsidiaries and associates. Its North American businesses are located in the United States, Canada and Bermuda. Operations in the United States are conducted through HSBC Bank USA, N.A., and HSBC Finance, a national consumer finance company based near Chicago. HSBC Markets (USA) Inc. is the intermediate holding company of, inter alia, HSBC Securities (USA) Inc. HSBC Bank Canada and HSBC Bank Bermuda operate in their respective countries.
The Companyâ€™s operations in Latin America consists of HSBC Bank Brasil S.A.-Banco Multiplo, HSBC Mexico, S.A., HSBC Bank Argentina S.A. and HSBC Bank (Panama) S.A. In addition to banking services, it operates insurance businesses in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Panama and a range of smaller markets.
Retail Banking and Wealth Management
Retail Banking and Wealth Management (RBWM) take deposits and provide transactional banking services to enable customers to manage their day-to-day finances and save for the future. It offers credit facilities to assist customers in their short or longer-term borrowing requirements; and we provide financial advisory, broking, insurance and investment services to help them to manage and protect their financial futures. It develops products designed to meet the needs of specific customer segments, which may include a range of different services and delivery channels. Its customer offerings include deposits and account services; credit and lending, both secured and unsecured, and financial advisory, broking, life insurance manufacturing and asset management.
The Company offers services through four principal channels: branches, self-service terminals, telephone service centres and digital (Internet and mobile). Customers can transact with the bank through a combination of these channels. Its offers include HSBC Premier, HSBC Advance, Wealth Solutions & Financial Planning and Basic Banking. HSBC Premier provide preferential banking services and global recognition to its mass affluent customers and their immediate families. Customers can access emergency travel assistance, priority telephone banking and an online global view of their Premier accounts around the world. HSBC Advance provides a range of preferential products and services to simplify the banking needs of customers and to help them manage and plan their money to achieve their financial goals and ambitions. Wealth Solutions & Financial Planningis a financial planning process designed around individual customer needs to help its clients to protect, grow and manage their wealth through investment and wealth insurance products manufactured by Global Asset Management, Global Markets and HSBC Insurance and by selected third-party providers. Basic Banking provides banking products and services using global product platforms and globally set service standards.
The Company segmentâ€™s its Commercial Banking Business (CMB) into Corporate, to serve both Corporate and Mid-Market companies, and Business Banking, to serve the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEâ€™s) sector. It provides support to companies as they expand both domestically and internationally, and ensures a focus on the business banking segments. It offers a range of financing, both domestic and cross-border, including overdrafts, receivables finance, term loans and syndicated, leveraged, acquisition and project finance. Asset finance is offered in selected sites. The Company provides the services and finance its clients need throughout the trade cycle including; letters of credit, collections, guarantees; receivables finance; supply chain solutions; commodity and structured finance; and risk distribution. HSBC is supporting the development of renminbi as a trade currency, with renminbi capabilities in more than 50 markets. It is a provider of domestic and cross-border payments, collections, liquidity management and account services offering local, regional and global solutions delivered through e-enabled platforms designed to address the current and future needs of its clients. The Company offers business and financial protection, trade insurance, employee benefits, corporate wealth management and a variety of other commercial risk insurance products in selected countries.
Global Banking and Markets
Global Banking and Markets (GB&M) provides tailored financial solutions to government, corporate and institutional clients and private investors globally. Managed as a global business, GB&M operates a long-term relationship management approach to build a understanding of clientsâ€™ financial requirements. Sector-focused client service teams consisting of relationship managers and product specialists develop financial solutions to meet individual client needs. GB&M is managed as two principal business lines: Global Markets, and Global Banking.
Global Markets operations consist of treasury and capital markets services. Products include foreign exchange; currency, interest rate, bond, credit, equity and other derivatives; government and non-government fixed income and money market instruments; precious metals and exchange-traded futures; equity services; distribution of capital markets instruments, and securities services, including custody and clearing services and funds administration to both domestic and cross-border investors. Global Banking offers financing, advisory and transaction services. Its products include capital raising, advisory services, bilateral and syndicated lending, leveraged and acquisition finance, structured and project finance, lease finance and non-retail deposit taking; international, regional and domestic payments and cash management services; and trade services for corporate clients.
Global Private Banking
Global Private Banking (GPB) provides investment management and trustee solutions to high net worth individuals and their families globally. Private Banking services consists of multicurrency and fiduciary deposits, account services, and credit and specialist lending. GPB also accesses HSBCâ€™s universal banking capabilities to offer products and services such as credit cards, Internet banking, and corporate and investment banking solutions. Investment Management comprises advisory and discretionary investment services, as well as brokerage across asset classes. This includes a range of investment vehicles, portfolio management, security services and alternatives. Private Trust Solutions comprise trusts and estate planning, designed to protect wealth and preserve it for future generations through structures tailored to meet the individual needs of each client.
- [By fedezaldua]Indeed, BBVA sells at a similar valuation level but pays a much lower cash yield â€“ BBVA is expected to pay a 4% cash dividend yield in 2014. BBVA trades at 2014 150% tangible book value and 18 times earnings. While you can always acquire a solid international banking institution such as HSBC (HSBC), which pays a 4% cash yield and sells for a significantly lower valuation than both Santander and BBVA, it’s nearly impossible in today’s market to buy an international banking institution that would pay you a 9% cash dividend yield.
- [By Sara Sjolin]Banks rose, with shares of Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC (UK:RBS) Â (RBS) up 0.8%, Barclays PLC (UK:BARC) Â (BCS) Â rising 0.4% and sector heavyweight HSBC Holdings PLC (UK:HSBA) Â (HSBC) Â (HK:5) Â 0.3% higher.
- [By MARKETWATCH]COPENHAGEN (MarketWatch) — European stock markets rose for a fourth straight day on Monday, as investors remained optimistic about the outlook for the U.S. economy after the IMF late last week said this will grow at a faster pace than previously expected. The Stoxx Europe 600 index (XX:SXXP) gained 0.2% to 321.70, on track for its highest closing level since early December. Banks were among advancers, with shares of Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena Spa (IT:BMPS) up 3.2%, HSBC Holdings PLC (UK:HSBA) (HSBC) rising 0.5% and Commerzbank AG (DE:CBK) 0.7% higher. Among country-specific indexes, the U.K.’s FTSE 100 index (UK:UKX) added 0.4% to 6,631.05 and France’s CAC 40 index (FR:PX1) was flat around 4,194.43. Germany’s DAX 30 index (DX:DAX) put on 0.3% to 9,429.50.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: Cray Inc(CRAY)
Cray Inc. engages in the design, development, manufacture, marketing, and service of high-performance computing (HPC) systems, known as supercomputers. Its product line includes Cray XE6 system, a massively parallel processing system; Cray XE6m supercomputer that incorporates its Cray Gemini network; Cray XMT supercomputer, a scalable massively multithreaded platform with a shared memory architecture that is suited for tasks, such as pattern matching, complex searches, scenario development, behavioral prediction, anomaly identification, and graph analysis; and Cray CX1 and CX1000 systems that are purpose-built for laboratories and university departments. The company?s products under development comprise Cray XE6 System enhancements; and next generation Cray XMT System. It also offers engineering services related to HPC systems and solutions, such as maintenance support services and technology-led professional services. Cray Inc. provides its products and services to gover nment agencies, academic institutions, and commercial entities in the United States, Canada, Europe, Japan, and the Asia-Pacific. The company was formerly known as Tera Computer Company and changed its name to Cray Inc. in 2000. Cray Inc. was founded in 1987 and is headquartered Seattle, Washington.
- [By Jake L’Ecuyer]Equities Trading UP
Cray (NASDAQ: CRAY) rose on Friday’s session, gaining a staggering 36.87 percent to $41.02 after beating on the top and bottom lines, while boosting its fiscal year guidance.
- [By Lisa Levin]Cray (NASDAQ: CRAY) surged 14.40% to $31.07. The volume of Cray shares traded was 649% higher than normal. Cray affirmed its revenue outlook for 2013 and 2014.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: (VIAB)
Viacom Inc. operates as an entertainment content company in the United States and internationally. The company connects with audiences through compelling content on television, motion picture, Internet, and mobile platforms through various entertainment brands. It operates in two segments, Media Networks and Filmed Entertainment. The Media Networks segment provides entertainment content and related branded products to advertisers, content distributors, and retailers across various distribution platforms, such as television, Internet, and mobile devices; and through various consumer products. Its MTV Networks operates approximately 160 channels and multiplatform properties, which include MTV, VH1, CMT, PalladiaHD, Logo, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., TeenNick, Nicktoons, Nick at Nite, Atom, Neopets, COMEDY CENTRAL, TV Land, Spike TV, Tr3s, BET, and CENTRIC, as well as a casual games business that includes Web sites, such as AddictingGames.com and Shockwave.com. This segment also op erates BET Networks, which provide entertainment, music, news, and public affairs programming to the African-American audience and consumers of Black culture; and BET channel, CENTRIC, BET Gospel, and BET Hip Hop. The Filmed Entertainment segment produces, finances, and distributes motion pictures and other entertainment content under the Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV Films, and Nickelodeon Movies brands. This segment also acquires films for distribution and has a presence in the games business; and also distributes motion pictures and other entertainment content on DVD and Blu-ray, video-on-demand, subscription video-on-demand, pay and basic cable television, broadcast television, and syndicated television platforms. It has a library of approximately 3,300 motion pictures and television programs. The company is headquartered in New York, New York.
- [By Will Ashworth]Absent from the top 10 are any networks from Viacom (VIAB) whose best result is an 18th-place finish for Nick at Nite. I would think Sumner Redstone or whoever takes over the company would be eager to take AMCX private. And they probably are.
- [By Wallace Witkowski]Big names in the sector reporting earnings this week include Ford Motor Co. (F) Â and Comcast Corp. (CMCSA) Â on Tuesday, and Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) , Viacom Inc. (VIA) Â (VIAB) , and Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. (CMG) Â on Thursday.
- [By Jonathan Berr]Thanks in part to the animated tale, Disney stock has spiked more than 41% over the past year, outperforming Time Warner (TWX), which has jumped about 29% and Viacom (VIAB), which has gained 37%. DIS stock is up 7.7% since the film was released — almost triple the performance of the S&P 500 in that time.
Top Cheapest Stocks For 2014: Insteel Industries Inc.(IIIN)
Insteel Industries, Inc. manufactures and markets steel wire reinforcing products for concrete construction applications. The company offers pre-stressed concrete strand (PC strand) and welded wire reinforcement (WWR) products. Its PC strand is a high strength seven-wire strand that is used to impart compression forces into precast concrete elements and structures, which may be either pre-tensioned or post-tensioned, providing reinforcement for bridges, parking decks, buildings, and other concrete structures. The company?s WWR is produced as either a standard or a specially engineered reinforcing product for use in nonresidential and residential construction. Its products comprise concrete pipe reinforcement, an engineered made-to-order product that is used as the primary reinforcement in concrete pipe, box culverts, and precast manholes for drainage and sewage systems, water treatment facilities, and other related applications; engineered structural mesh, an engineered m ade-to-order product, which is used as the primary reinforcement for concrete elements or structures; and standard welded wire reinforcement, a secondary reinforcing product for crack control applications in residential and light nonresidential construction, including driveways, sidewalks, and various slab-on-grade applications. Insteel Industries sells its products through sales representatives to the manufacturers of concrete products, distributors, and rebar fabricators in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America. The company was founded in 1958 and is headquartered in Mount Airy, North Carolina.
- [By Seth Jayson]Insteel Industries (Nasdaq: IIIN ) reported earnings on April 18. Here are the numbers you need to know.
The 10-second takeaway
For the quarter ended March 30 (Q2), Insteel Industries missed estimates on revenues and beat expectations on earnings per share.
- [By Rich Duprey]With steely reserve,Â Insteel IndustriesÂ (NASDAQ: IIIN ) Â declared it will pay aÂ quarterly cash dividendÂ ofÂ $0.03 per share on June 28 to shareholders of record at the close of business on June 14.
- [By Seth Jayson]Insteel Industries (Nasdaq: IIIN ) reported earnings on July 18. Here are the numbers you need to know.
The 10-second takeaway
For the quarter ended June 29 (Q3), Insteel Industries met expectations on revenues and missed estimates on earnings per share.