Small cap entertainment or gaming stocks Soul and Vibe Interactive Inc (OTCBB: SOUL), Elray Resources Inc (OTCMKTS: ELRA) and Players Network (OTCMKTS: PNTV) focus on entertaining consumers. However, its important to remember that consumers can be very fickle when it comes to entertainment or games. So should you be entertaining any of these small caps? Here is a closer look and a reality check:
Soul and Vibe Interactive Inc (OTCBB: SOUL) Gets Good Coverage in a Gaming Magazine
Small cap Soul and Vibe Interactive is a publisher of games and games-related content for consoles, mobile devices and personal computers. The company specializes in the creation of original intellectual properties and has extensive experience licensing world-renowned brands from influential companies. On Friday, Soul and Vibe Interactive rose 8.42% to $0.515 for a market cap of $8.05 million plus SOUL is down 47.2% over the past year and down 82.1% since December 2012 according to Google Finance.
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: Mercury General Corporation (MCY)
Mercury General Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, engages in writing personal automobile insurance products. The company also writes homeowners, commercial automobile and property, mechanical breakdown, fire, and umbrella insurance products. Its insurance products cover collision, property damage liability, bodily injury liability, comprehensive, personal injury protection, underinsured and uninsured motorist, and other hazards for automobile policy holders. The company sells its policies through a network of independent agents in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Nevada, and Michigan. Mercury General Corporation was founded in 1960 and is headquartered in Los Angeles, California.
- [By Chuck Carnevale] their website:â€œMercury General (NYSE-MCY) is the leading independent broker and agency writer of automobile insurance in California and has been one of the fastest growing automobile insurers in the nation. It is ranked as the third largest private passenger automobile insurer in California, with total assets over $4 billion. Mercury also writes automobile insurance in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia. In addition to automobile insurance, Mercury writes other lines of insurance in various states, including mechanical breakdown and homeowners insurance.
Performance and Dividends Impacted by Operating Stress
It should be clear from the above graphs that the earnings records of these three Dividend Champions have been far from steady, consistent or reliable. Therefore, I cannot get comfortable either recommending them or investing in them because I cannot get comfortable predicting what their future operating results may be. Furthermore, by examining the performance results associated with the above earnings and price-correlated graphs illustrates a lot of uncertainty. A focus on the earnings growth rate column illustrates a lot of stress on each companyâ€™s ability to keep their dividend streaks alive (Blue Circles).
The Overvaluation Rejection
Other reasons besides irregular earnings growth that caused a Dividend Champion to be rejected include one of my all-time favorites, valuation. Or to be more precise â€” overvaluation. The following example, McCormick & Co. (MKC), represents one of my favorite Dividend Champions based on a very consistent above-average record of earnings growth that produced its impressive dividend streak. The only reason that this Dividend Champion was rejected was because of current overvaluation.
- [By Fredrik Arnold]Ten Champion dogs that promised the biggest dividend yields into July included firms representing five of nine market sectors. The top stocks were three of five from the financial sector: Universal Health Realty Trust (UHT); Mercury General Corp. (MCY); Old Republic Int’l (ORI). The other two financial firms, HCP Inc., and United Bankshares Inc. (UBSI), placed sixth and eighth.
- [By John Udovich]Auto sales are booming and thatâ€™s good news for large cap auto insurerÂ the Progressive Corporation (NYSE: PGR) along with small cap auto insurers Safety Insurance Group, Inc (NASDAQ: SAFT) andÂ Mercury General Corporation (NYSE: MCY) as they offer income to yield hungry investors as well as income in the form of dividends. Specifically, a Yahoo! Autos blog recently noted that last month, automakers sold 1.5 million new vehicles for the highest rate in years withÂ most industry forecasters expecting sales toÂ return to the level they hit before the 2008 recession of 16 million vehicles a year. The blog post then went on to note the three forces driving auto sales:
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: American Residential Properties Inc (ARPI)
American Residential Properties, Inc., incorporated on March 30, 2012, is a fully integrated and internally managed real estate investment company, which is organized as a real estate investment trust. The Company acquires, renovates, leases and manages single-family properties in select communities nationally. The Company is operating in ten states. American Residential Properties OP, L.P. acts as its operating partnership. American Residential GP, LLC is the wholly owned subsidiary of the Company and the sole general partner of its operating partnership. American Residential Leasing Company, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of its operating partnership. American Residential Properties TRS, LLC (TRS), that is a wholly owned subsidiary of its operating partnership. As of March 31, 2013, it owned 2,531 properties in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas , and it managed an additional 608 properties for Phoenix Fund in Arizona and Nevada. For the period from April 1, 2013 to April 12, 2013, the Company acquired or have contracted to acquire 785 single-family homes, of which 43 homes are in Arizona, four homes are in California, 66 homes are in Florida, 25 homes are in Georgia, 35 homes are in Illinois, 114 homes are in Indiana, 214 homes are in North Carolina, nine homes are in South Carolina and 275 homes are in Texas.
In addition to the Companyâ€™s primary business strategy of acquiring, restoring, leasing and managing single-family homes, it has a private mortgage financing strategy. As of March 31, 2013, the Companyâ€™s total portfolio of single family homes included 1,045 homes in phoenix, 304 homes in Chicago, 209 homes in Inland Empire, 136 homes in Winston-Salem, 265 homes in Indianapolis, 78 homes in Dallas-Fort Worth, 169 homes in Atlanta, 82 homes in other-California, 63 homes in Las Vegas, 138 homes in Fort Myers, 24 homes in Houston, 6 homes in Raleigh-Cary, 11 homes in Charlotte and one home in Charleston. As of March 31, 2013, the Companyâ€™s portfolio of self-managed single-family homes included 1,521 homes. As of March 31, 2013, the Companyâ€™s portfolio of preferred operator program single-family homes included 1,010 homes.
- [By Amanda Alix]This spring, however, signs of a slowdown began to appear. The number of distressed properties began to diminish, prices began ticking upward, and interest rates started a slow rise. However, two snippets of good news may help float the boats of private equity firm Blackstone Group (NYSE: BX ) , and single-family REITs Silver Bay (NYSE: SBY ) and American Residential Properties (NYSE: ARPI ) : easier credit, and higher foreclosure rates.
- [By Mark Holder]After an initial bump in Silver Bay, the stock has had a horrible 2013, now trading close to all-time lows. Recently, a couple of other IPOs in the sector have come to market with weak receptions. Both American Homes 4 Rent (NYSE: AMH ) and American Residential Properties (NYSE: ARPI ) offer different twists to the general thesis of investing in single-family rental properties to take advantage of the weakness in housing prices and the increased demand for rentals.
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: Platinum Group Metals Ltd (PLG)
Platinum Group Metals Ltd. (Platinum Group) is a platinum focused exploration and development company conducting work on mineral properties it has staked or acquired by way of option agreements in the Republic of South Africa and in Canada. The Company conducts its South African exploration and development work through its wholly owned direct subsidiary, Platinum Group Metals (RSA) (Proprietary) Limited (PTM RSA). PTM RSA holds the Companyâ€™s interests in the Project 1 platinum mine (Project 1) and Project 3. PTM RSA also holds 100% of Wesplats Holding (Proprietary) Limited (Wesplats), and a 37% interest in Wildebeest Platinum (Pty) Limited (Wildebeest), a company set up to hold prospecting rights for the exploration joint venture between the Company and Sable Platinum Mining (Pty) Ltd. (Sable) and Umnotho NREF Joint Venture. In September 2011, it purchased the Providence Copper-Nickel-Cobalt-Platinum Group Metals (Cu-Ni-Co-PGM) property from Arctic Star Exploration (Arctic Star). Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Zacks Investment Research]Investors hoping for a turnaround in precious metals prices and looking for exposure to precious metals miners could consider Platinum Group Metals (PLG), currently ranked #2 (Buy) by Zacks.
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: Bristow Group Inc (BRS)
Bristow Group Inc., together with its subsidiaries, provides helicopter services to the offshore energy industry primarily in Europe, West Africa, North America, Australia, and internationally. Its helicopters are used principally to transport personnel between onshore bases and offshore platforms, drilling rigs, and installations, as well as to transport time-sensitive equipment to offshore locations. The company also offers helicopter flight training services to commercial pilots and flight instructors through its Bristow Academy with facilities in Titusville, Florida; Concord, California; New Iberia, Louisiana and Gloucestershire, England. In addition, it provides military training; and helicopter repair, engineering support, aircraft leasing, airport management, and search and rescue services. Bristow Group provides its helicopter services to integrated, national, and independent oil and gas companies. As of March 31, 2011, it operated a fleet of 569 aircraft. The comp any was founded in 1969 and is based in Houston, Texas.
- [By J. Royden Ward]Based in Houston and founded in 1969, Bristow Group (BRS) has major transportation operations in the US Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea.Bristow also operates in most of the other major offshore oil and gas producing regions of the world, including Alaska, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria, Russia, and Trinidad.
- [By GURUFOCUS]First comes Bristow Group Inc. (BRS), which provides helicopter services to offshore energy rigs, and is a holding in our traditional mid-cap, small-to-mid cap, and small-cap portfolios. Although energy exploration and production can clearly fluctuate, Bristow offsets those shifts through long-term contracts lasting roughly three to five years. Furthermore, Bristow receives â€œmonthly standing chargesâ€â€”meaning it gets paid whether its helicopters fly or notâ€”amounting to 70% of its operating income.
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: On Track Innovations Ltd (OTIV)
On Track Innovations Ltd. (OTI) designs, develops and markets solutions based on its secure contactless microprocessor-based smart card technology to address the needs of a range of markets. The Companyâ€™s products combine the benefits of both microprocessors and contactless cards. In addition to contactless microprocessor-based smart cards, it also sells products that are based on other card technologies. The Company has focused on the development of its technologies and its products based on its technological platform that consists of smart cards, smart card readers, software tools and secure communication technology. As of December 31, 2012, it offers three lines of solutions, each of which constitutes a complete system, as well as components (such as smart cards and readers) that we sell to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), for incorporation into their own products. OTIâ€™s three vertical markets include Payment Solutions, Petroleum Systems and SmartID Solutions. Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Roberto Pedone]
One under-$10 technology player that’s starting to trend within range of triggering a major breakout trade is On Track Innovations (OTIV), which designs, develops and markets contactless microprocessor-based smart card solutions to customers in Africa, Europe, the Far East, the Americas and Israel. This stock has been red hot over the last three months, with shares up a whopping 134%.
If you take a look at the chart for On Track Innovations, you’ll notice that this stock has been trending sideways and consolidating over the last month and change, with shares moving between $2.70 on the downside and $3.74 on the upside. Shares of OTIV have now started to spike higher off some near-term support at $3 a share and it’s quickly moving within range of triggering a major breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent sideways trading chart pattern.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in OTIV if it manages to break out above its 52-week high at $3.74 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above that level with volume that hits near or above its three-month average volume of 626,538 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then OTIV will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $4.50 to $5.50 a share.
Traders can look to buy OTIV off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits just below some key near-term support levels at $3.20 or at $3 a share. One can also buy OTIV off strength once it starts to clear its 52-week high at $3.74 a share with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
- [By Markman Advisors]Public companies leveraging their patent portfolios, (aka “patent plays”), are getting the market’s attention. Companies such as Vringo (VRNG), ParkerVision (PRKR), MGT Capital (MGT), Worlds Inc. (WDDD.OB) and others have presented trading opportunities due to their volatility while retaining the chance for a big payoff to those investors who stay the course. Yet there exist viable patent plays that are still undiscovered. Some of these so called “plays,” which are not getting enough attention, are actually real companies making and selling real products or services in contrast to pure patent monetization companies. Some known examples are Single Touch Interactive (SITO.OB) and Blue Calypso (BCYP.OB). This article is focused on another one of these patent plays, On Track Innovations Ltd. (OTIV).
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: Open Joint Stock Company “Vimpel-Communications”(VIP)
VimpelCom Ltd. operates as an integrated telecommunications services provider, offering voice and data services through a range of wireless, fixed, and broadband technologies. It provides its services under the Beeline, Kyivstar, djuice, Wind, Infostrada Mobilink, Leo, Banglalink, Telecel, Mobinil, koryolink, Allo, and Djezzy brands. The company also offers roaming services that allows its subscribers and the customers of other mobile operators to receive and make international, local, and long distance calls while outside of their home network. In addition, it provides mobile telecommunications, as well as fixed-line, data, and long distance licenses. As of December 31, 2010, the company had 92.7 million mobile subscribers. It offers its services in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Armenia, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Algeria, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Burundi, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Central African Republic, Italy, and Canada. VimpelCom Ltd. is headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- [By Lisa Levin]VimpelCom (NASDAQ: VIP) shares reached a new 52-week low of $9.05. VimpelCom is expected to release its Q4 results on March 6, 2014.Westport Innovations (NASDAQ: WPRT) shares touched a new 52-week low of $15.22 after the company and Delphi Automotive (NYSE: DLPH) signed a joint development agreement to commercialize natural gas injector technology.
- [By Halia Pavliva]VimpelCom Ltd. (VIP), Russiaâ€™s third-biggest mobile carrier, is poised for the biggest monthly gain since August 2012 on prospects its inclusion in the Nasdaq benchmark index will bolster demand for the shares.
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: Oceaneering International Inc.(OII)
Oceaneering International, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, provides engineered products and services primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry with a focus on deepwater applications. The company?s Remotely Operated Vehicles segment provides submersible vehicles operated from the surface to support offshore oil and gas exploration, production, and construction activities. Its Subsea Products segment supplies various built-to-order specialty subsea hardware products. The company?s Subsea Projects segment provides multiservice vessels, oilfield diving, and support vessel operations, which are used primarily in inspection, repair, and maintenance and installation activities; and mobile offshore production systems. Its Inspection segment offers customers with a range of third-party inspection services to satisfy contractual structural specifications, internal safety standards, and regulatory requirements. The company?s Advanced Technologies segment offers project management, and engineering services and equipment for applications in non-oilfield markets. Oceaneering International, Inc. also serves defense and aerospace industries. It operates primarily in west Africa, Norway, the United Kingdom, Asia, Australia, Brazil, and the United States. The company was founded in 1965 and is based in Houston, Texas.
- [By Chris Hill]Gold continues its decline. Citigroup (NYSE: C ) gets a boost from its investment banking business. NetflixÂ (NASDAQ: NFLX ) gets a boost from analyst upgrades. And Oceaneering International (NYSE: OII ) slips on falling oil prices. In this installment of Investor Beat, our analysts discuss four stocks making moves.
- [By Taylor Muckerman and Joel South]Oceaneering International (NYSE: OII ) is a pure play on the deepwater space with its remotely operated vehicles and other subsea equipment. Both it and its similarly priced peer, FMC Technologies (NYSE: FTI ) , compete for headlines tomorrow during earnings season. While guidance hasn’t changed since last week, the market will almost certainly be looking for results on the high side or even expectation-beating numbers. What do Motley Fool analysts Joel South and Taylor Muckerman expect from these companies tomorrow?
- [By Jeremy Bowman]What: Shares of Oceaneering International (NYSE: OII ) were rising with the tide today, gaining as much as 10% after delivering a strong quarter and a healthy dividend hike.
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: Brooks Automation Inc.(BRKS)
Brooks Automation, Inc. provides automation, vacuum, and instrumentation solutions for semiconductor manufacturing, life sciences, and clean energy markets worldwide. The company?s Brooks Product Solutions segment provides a range of products critical to technology equipment productivity and availability. This segment?s products include atmospheric and vacuum tool automation systems, atmospheric and vacuum robots and robotic modules, and cryogenic vacuum pumping, thermal management, and vacuum measurement solutions, which are used to create, measure, and control critical process vacuum applications. Its Brooks Life Science Systems segment offers automated sample management systems, including automated sample storage, automated blood fractionation equipment, sample preparation and handling equipment, consumables, parts, and support services to various life science customers, including pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, biobanks, national laboratories, rese arch institutes, and research universities. The company?s Brooks Global Services segment provides a range of support services, including on and off-site repair services, on and off-site diagnostic support services, and installation services to enable the customers to maximize process tool uptime and productivity. This segment also offers spare part support services to end-user customers. Brooks Automation, Inc. was founded in 1978 and is headquartered in Chelmsford, Massachusetts.
- [By Lauren Pollock]Brooks Automation Inc.’s(BRKS) fiscal fourth-quarter earnings fell 95% as the technology-products company’s revenue slipped on weak demand from semiconductor customers and a much smaller tax benefit. Results beat expectations, but the company gave a weak outlook for the first quarter. Shares edged lower.
Top Stocks To Buy For 2015: Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (GWR)
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. owns and operates short line and regional freight railroads, and provides railcar switching services in the United States, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, and Belgium. The company?s railroads transport various commodities, including coal and coke; pulp and paper; metals commodities; minerals and stone commodities; lumber and forest products; farm and food products; chemicals and plastics; petroleum products; autos and auto parts; metallic ores; and intermodal commodities. It operates 63 railroads with approximately 7,400 miles of owned and leased track; and approximately 1,400 additional miles under track access arrangements. The company also offers rail services at 17 ports in North America and Europe. In addition, it provides car repair services, car hire and rental services, demurrage and storage, crewing services, and track access services, as well as sells diesel fuel to other rail operators. The company was founded in 1899 and is headquarte red in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- [By Holly LaFon]Another area that is intriguing to us is the North American energy sector which looks to have a number of interesting catalysts currently. While the energy sector is at present only a modest overweight in the portfolios, we have been encouraged by several trends taking place for a number of years. These positive developments are also having an impact that goes far beyond the energy sector itself. Many believe that the U.S. will become energy independent and possibly a net exporter of natural gas and oil (currently restricted by law) in the next decade. This opinion is based primarily on the development of new drilling techniques (i.e. horizontal drilling, and high pressure fracking) that have enabled companies to access oil and natural gas reserves in shale formations that were previously not economically viable. The ability to tap into this acreage is a game-changer in our view and is already having a tremendous impact on the economy. Employment rates in these mostly rural areas surrounding the shale basins are very high and companies thus find hiring extremely competitive. Strong labor markets tend to create strong local economies. Oil States International (OIS) has been able to capitalize on this trend by providing housing and other services to oil service workers that are in demand in the area. CST Brands (CST) operates gas stations in Texas, but it is increasingly looking to broaden its product offering beyond fuel. Rail companies like Union Pacific (UNP), Canadian Pacific (CP), Kansas City Southern (KSU) and Genesee and Wyoming (GWR) have also benefited substantially. Given that shale areas are rural and often lacking infrastructure, substantial investment must be made to support drilling and production activities. Without pipelines in place, railroads have been the primary takeaway mechanism for moving production to the various clusters of refining capacity around the United States. In order to serve this demand, massive investment in railcars has been nee
- [By Anna Prior]Genesee & Wyoming Inc.’s(GWR) consolidated traffic rose 6.3% in October from a year earlier on a pro forma basis, boosted by growth in metallic ores and metals shipments.
- [By Paul Ausick]A 90-car train operated by a subsidiary of Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (NYSE: GWR) delivering crude oil from North Dakota to Florida continues to burn Saturday after 20 cars and 2 engines derailed in Alabama early Friday morning. No injuries have been reported and authorities plan to let the conflagration burn itself out.