Shares of both AT&T (NYSE: T ) and Verizon (NYSE: VZ ) have been under pressure this week after an analyst predicted that Google (NASDAQ: GOOG ) Fiber would be a big competitor long term. But it may take a decade for Google to build out enough infrastructure to be a big competitor with either company, and that still doesn’t make a dent in the cash-cow wireless business. Analyst Travis Hoium discusses the biggest reasons why investors shouldn’t worry about Google Fiber right now in the video below.
As one of the most dominant Internet companies ever, Google has made a habit of driving strong returns for its shareholders. However, like many other web companies, it’s also struggling to adapt to an increasingly mobile world. Despite gaining an enviable lead with its Android operating system, the market isn’t sold. That’s why it’s more important than ever to understand each piece of Google’s sprawling empire. In The Motley Fool’s new premium research report on Google, we break down the risks and potential rewards for Google investors. Simply click here now to unlock your copy of this invaluable resource.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Energy Transfer Equity L.P. (ETE)
Energy Transfer Equity, L.P., through its direct and indirect investments in the limited partner and general partner interests in Energy Transfer Partners, L.P., engages in midstream, intrastate, and interstate transportation of natural gas, as well as in storage of natural gas in the United States. The company?s Intrastate Transportation and Storage segment engages in the ownership and operation of natural gas transportation pipelines and natural gas storage facilities. As of December 31, 2009, it owned and operated approximately 7,800 miles of natural gas transportation pipelines and 3 natural gas storage facilities. This segment sells natural gas to electric utilities, independent power plants, local distribution companies, industrial end-users, and other marketing companies on the Houston pipeline system. Its Interstate Transportation segment involves owns and operates interstate natural gas pipeline. It owned and operates approximately 2,700 miles of interstate natura l gas pipeline with an additional 180 miles under construction. The company?s Midstream segment engages in the ownership and operation of in service natural gas gathering pipelines, natural gas processing plants, natural gas treating facilities, and natural gas conditioning facilities. This segment owned and operated approximately 7,000 miles of in service natural gas gathering pipelines, 3 natural gas processing plants, 11 natural gas treating facilities, and 11 natural gas conditioning facilities. Its Retail Propane segment operates a retail distribution network consisting of approximately 440 customer service locations in approximately 40 states. The company was formerly known as La Grange Energy, L.P. Energy Transfer Equity, L.P. was founded in 2002 and is based in Dallas, Texas.
- [By Robert Rapier]The purchases will be financed with debt and the issuance of Regency units worth nearly $700 million, roughly 13 percent of the current market capitalization, with general partner Energy Transfer Equity (NYSE: ETE) buying $400 million.
- [By Paul Ausick]Many of the MLPs also have a publicly traded general partner. Because the general partner typically owns incentive distribution rights that can skyrocket after the limited partnership distributions are paid, these companies tend to show higher growth rates than the MLPs themselves. For example, Energy Transfer Equity LP (NYSE: ETE), the general partner for Enterprise Products, has a market cap of $24.23 billion on its own. ETE’s yield is 3.4% compared with EPD’s yield of 4.2%, but the general partner’s ability to grow is potentially much higher. The downside is that these stocks are expensive compared with an MLP’s common unit price.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Orange SA (ORAN)
Orange SA, formerly France Telecom S.A., incorporated on December 31, 1996, is an European mobile operator, an asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) Internet access provider in Europe, and telecommunications services provider for multinational businesses under the Orange Business Services brand. As of December 31, 2010, France Telecom provided services to 209 million customers, of which 150 million were mobile phone customers and 13.7 million were broadband Internet customers, and as of June 30, 2011, provided services to 217.3 million customers. It offers its individual customers, businesses and other telecommunications operators a line of services covering fixed and mobile communications, data transmission, the Internet and multimedia, and other services. The Company’s segments include France, Poland, Spain, Rest of the World, Business Communication Services, International Carriers and Shared Services.
The range of services in the H ome segment in France is made up of fixed-line telephony services; other consumer services; online, Internet access, and multimedia services; advertising-management and Internet portal business; content-related business, and carrier services. France Telecom’s traditional fixed-line telephony services provide access to the network, local and long-distance telephone communication services throughout France, and international calls. In addition, France Telecom offers its fixed-line telephony subscribers a broad range of value-added services. The France Telecom Group has a number of portals, including Orange.fr, which is either Web- or mobile-accessible. In December 2010, its audience reached 22.5 million, and Voila.fr and Cityvox (entertainment and leisure listing site in France) in its different formats, such as Cityvox.fr, Cinefil.com, Spectacles.fr, Concert.fr and WebCity.fr. The primary revenue source is online advertising sold by the Orange Advertising Network. This adve rtising management department sells advertising space for ab! out 20 third-party sites, both Web and mobile.
Orange’s offers are built around three product lines: postpaid, prepaid and convergent offers. Orange offers two categories of prepaid offer, to which calls are charged by the second from the first second: The Mobicarte, includes a range of recharges from 5 to 100 euros and Orange Initial, which enables the customer to be billed monthly depending on his or her actual consumption. Orange also has a number of offers that pair mobile use and mobile Internet access with all-in-one offers, including both the hardware and an Internet access plan. The USB 3G+ plans enable connection to the Internet via the mobile broadband network or the Orange public wireless fidelity (WiFi) network from a laptop computer, multimedia mobile phone or a tablet personal computer.
The Company competes with SFR-Neuf Cegetel, Free, Bouygues Telecom, Numericable, Google and Voila.
Orange (the brand under which the TP Group subsidiary, PTK Centertel trades) had a total of 14.3 million during the year ended December 31, 2010. In April 2010, PTK Centertel introduced segmented postpaid offers for residential customers. Depending on the usage profile, customers can choose from three types of tariff plans: Dolphin tariffs for frequent users of voice services, Pelican for customers focused on text and community Web-services, and Panther for users of mobile data services (Internet, email). The mobile broadband Internet customer base (Edge and 3G data services) reached 547,000 customers during 2010. In 2010, Orange introduced a SIM-only mobile Internet offer and a portfolio of terminals dedicated to the Orange Free offer.
The Company competes with Netia, Multimedia Polska, Aster and Hyperion.
Orange Espana, operating under Orange, Ya.com and OBS (Enterprise) brands offers fixed and mobile telecommunication services to more than 13 million customers in the residential, professional, business and who! lesale se! gments. Orange Espana’s physical distribution network consists in 2,922 points of presence, including Orange own shops, franchises, specialized shops under the Orange brand, non exclusive specialized shops, and a network of retailers. Orange Espana also distributes its services through distance selling channels, and its own online portal. Orange Espana fixed access infrastructure, based on its own optic fiber network and ADSL roll-out, enables delivery of advanced telecommunication services, including broadband Internet access, voice over Internet protocol (VoIP), internet protocol television (IPTV), television (TV) streaming, video on demand (VOD) and advanced business services.
The Company competes with Telefonica, ONO, Vodafone and Jazztel.
Rest of the world
The France Telecom Group is present in Luxembourg via Orange S.A. (formerly VOXmobile), a wholly owned subsidiary of Mobistar. The Luxembourg subsidiary, VOXmobile, was renamed Orange S.A. in October 2009. During the year ended December 31, 2010, Orange S.A. had 88,900 active mobile telephony customers.
The Company competes with Proximus, Mobistar, Base, ex-Mobifon, Telefonica O2, Deutsche Telekom, Swisscom, Sunrise, Moldtelecom, Starnet, ECMS, Vodafone Egypt and Etisalat U.A.E.
Enterprise Communications Services
The Orange Business Services brand covers both the Enterprise Communication Services (ECS) unit, which supplies communications services to multinational companies and corporate accounts and small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in France and Orange subsidiaries Business-to-Business (B2B) activities.
Orange Business Services covers the Company’s business customers in more than 160 countries and regions where it provides local technical and commercial assistance. This business segment includes a number of subsidiaries, including Etrali (trading solutions), Almerys (health), Orange Consulting (pro ject management, telecom consulting), Multimedia Business Se! rvices (m! ultimedia contact centers), Neocles (virtualization solutions), IT&Labs (design and development of embedded Machine-to-Machine applications, vehicle fleet management), Obiane and Telecom System (secure network integration), Alsy (integration services), EGT (equipment and services for video conferences), and GlobeCast (multimedia broadcast systems).
The Company competes with IBM, HP, Microsoft and Cisco.
The Company competes with COLT Telecom, Numericable-Completel, BT Global Services, AT&T Business Services, Verizon Business, T-Systems, Reliance Globalcom, Tata Communications, Belgacom Group, NextiraOne, Spie Communication, NTT Group, IBM Global Services, HP Enterprise Services, Atos Origin, Salesforce and Amazon.
International Carriers and Shared Services
Orange’s International Carriers activity is based on long-distance network infrastructure and offers a range of solutions on the international market. The Company is i nvolved in the design, construction and operation of submarine cables. The Company’s wholesale activity includes a worldwide network with over 120 presence points and 130,000 kilometers of fiber optic cable; a worldwide network of Internet protocol (IP) routes with end users in over 220 countries and connections to over 250 Internet service providers and a hit rate of over 85% for all European net surfers. France Telecom’s network has over 330 direct routes and interconnections with over 359 operators, and coverage in over 900 destinations with around-the-clock technical support. Its range of solutions includes interconnection, interoperability and signaling solutions for messaging, voice and video telephony services and the Orange Roaming Hub (Global eXchange) solution for moving from a bilateral model to a multilateral roaming system.
France Telecom has developed activities related to its core business line, such as content broadcasting, audience and adver tising, and also healthcare activities. Orange offers free a! nd paying! content on its own channels, paid program packages, Video On Demand, music and game offers. Orange distributes content provided by third parties (television, games, music) on fixed-line and mobile networks both inside and outside France. Orange also produces its own channels: Orange Sport and Orange Cinema’s five different channels. Studio 37, is a subsidiary for investing in cinematographic rights, through both co-production and the acquisition of catalogue rights. During the year ended December 32, 2010, Studio 37 supported the launch of 15 films, including the Gainsbourg and Fatal. The Viaccess group, a France Telecom subsidiary, offers access solutions to television content. Orange is present in the games market through the games it sells on the orange.fr portal (Casual Games dedicated to family type games, such as breakout clones or riddles). Orange Healthcare, is the Company’s healthcare division, focused on developing service packages for the whole sector within a partnership approach.
The Company competes with Telefonica, Deutsche Telekom, Telia Sonera and AT&T.
- [By Brian Pacampara]Based on the aggregated intelligence of 180,000-plus investors participating in Motley Fool CAPS, the Fool’s free investing community, French telecommunications giant France Telecom (NYSE: ORAN ) has earned a respected four-star ranking.
- [By Rich Smith]No soup for Yahoo!
For some time now, Yahoo! has been angling to make a big buy in France. New CEO Marissa Mayer had her eye on online video website and Google rival Dailymotion, which France Telecom (NYSE: ORAN ) was looking to unload.
- [By Mike Arnold]Shares of French telecommunications provider Orange (ORAN) (“Orange” or “the company”) have rallied to the tune of 51% since hitting fresh multi-year lows in July 2013. While it’s hard to recommend shares that have run so far, so quick, it is my opinion that Orange is still presenting investors a compelling asymmetric risk/reward situation. One way to limit risk is to set limit orders to pick up shares on any pullback caused by the shenanigans going on inside the Beltway.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Compuware Corporation(CPWR)
Compuware Corporation provides software and Web performance solutions, professional services, and application services in the United States, Europe, and Africa. The company?s software products consist of Mainframe, Vantage, Changepoint, and Uniface product lines. Its Mainframe product line includes File-AID, Xpediter, Hiperstation, Abend-AID, and Strobe used for application analysis, testing, defect detection and remediation, fault management, file and data management, data compliance, and application performance management in the IBM z/OS environment. The company?s Vantage products provide an end-to-end approach for managing application performance by combining end user experience monitoring, business service management, and application performance monitoring; Changepoint products are management and professional services automation solutions that address the needs of executives in technology companies, enterprise IT, and professional service organizations; and Uniface i s an application development environment for building, renewing, and integrating the enterprise applications. It also offers Web application performance management services, which are marketed under the Gomez brand name, are used by enterprises to test and monitor their Web and mobile applications while in development and after deployment. In addition, the company provides professional services, such as implementation, consulting, and training services, as well as various IT services for mainframe, distributed, and mobile environments; and application services, which are marketed under the Covisint brand name that offers SaaS platform providing industry-specific solutions for organizations in the automotive, healthcare, and energy markets, as well as provides support services. The company serves IT departments of various commercial and government organizations. Compuware Corporation was founded in 1973 and is headquartered in Detroit, Michigan.
- [By DAILYFINANCE]Karen Bleier, AFP/Getty Images WASHINGTON — It looks as though President Barack Obama’s fickle health insurance website is finally starting to put up some respectable sign-up numbers, but its job only seems to have gotten harder. Two months in and out of the repair shop have left significantly less time to fulfill the White House goal of enrolling 7 million people by the end of open enrollment on March 31. Signups were just over 100,000 nationally as of the end of October. The 36 states served by the federal government’s website accounted for a paltry one-fourth of that, fewer than 27,000 people. But officials now say an additional 29,000 people enrolled through the revamped HealthCare.gov in just two days at the start of this week, despite heavy volume that not long ago would have caused the system to lock up. HealthCare.gov is the online portal to subsidized private health insurance for people who don’t have job-based coverage. Though it’s too early to say whether the corner is being turned, Obama is inviting consumers to give the website a second chance. Here’s a look at the changes you can expect: Speed and Availability Independent testers question the blazing Internet speeds claimed by techies at the Health and Human Services Department but say there’s been noticeable progress. “The trend is in the right direction … but there are still things they can do to make the user experience better,” said Michael Smith, a vice president of engineering at Compuware Corp. (CPWR), which helps companies monitor the technical performance of their websites. As of Thursday morning, the number of states where consumers are experiencing unacceptably long wait times had been cut in half, down to 13 from 26 states in late October. Compuware defines “unacceptable” as more than 8 seconds average response time to load the home page. The government claims a response time of less than 1 second. But Smith says that is likely being measured from computers with fast Inte
- [By Ben Eisen and Saumya Vaishampayan]Shares of Compuware Corp. (CPWR) climbed 1.9%. The Financial Times reported that private equity investors were considering making a bid for the software company, citing anonymous sources.
- [By Seth Jayson]Compuware (Nasdaq: CPWR ) reported earnings on May 21. Here are the numbers you need to know.
The 10-second takeaway
For the quarter ended March 31 (Q4), Compuware met expectations on revenues and met expectations on earnings per share.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on Compuware (Nasdaq: CPWR ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Interactive Intelligence Inc.(ININ)
Interactive Intelligence, Inc. provides software application suites for voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) business communications to enterprises in the United States and internationally. The company offers software products and services for contact center, enterprise IP telephony, multichannel contact management, and business process automation. Its solutions include Interactive Intelligence Customer Interaction Center that provides contact centers and enterprises a single platform and a pre-integrated all-in-one application solution for IP telephony, including phone calls, faxes, e-mails, and Web interactions; Interactive Intelligence Customer Interaction Center for the Enterprise, an IP PBX phone and communications system for SIP-supported VoIP for mid-sized and larger enterprises, as well as offers real-time presence management and remote access with unified messaging, IVR and interaction client integrations for Microsoft applications; Interaction Process Automation t hat allows an organization to capture, prioritize, route, escalate, and track each step in a work process; and Interaction Content Management solution. The company also provides professional, managed, education, and support services. Its solutions are used by businesses and organizations that employ remote and mobile workers in teleservices, financial services, insurance, higher education, utilities, healthcare, retail, technology, government, and business services industries. The company distributes its products through partners and direct arrangements with end-user customers. Interactive Intelligence, Inc. was founded in 1994 and is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- [By Brian Pacampara]What: Shares of call center software specialist Interactive Intelligence (NASDAQ: ININ ) surged 17% today after its quarterly results easily topped Wall Street expectations.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: eHealth Inc.(EHTH)
eHealth, Inc. offers Internet-based insurance agency services for individuals, families, and small businesses in the United States. The company also offers technology licensing and Internet advertising services. Its ecommerce platforms organize and present health insurance information in various formats, as well as enables individuals, families, and small businesses to research, analyze, compare, and purchase various health insurance plans. The company offers various medical health insurance coverage plans, such as preferred provider organization, health maintenance organization and indemnity plans, Medicare plans, short-term medical insurance, student health insurance, and health savings account eligible health insurance plans, as well as ancillary plans, such as dental, vision, and life insurance. Its customers access its ecommerce platforms through its Websites, including eHealth.com, eHealthInsurance.com, eHealthMedicare.com, and PlanPrescriber.com, as well as through a network of marketing partners. The company was incorporated in 1997 and is headquartered in Mountain View, California.
- [By Sean Williams]The other option here is eHealth (NASDAQ: EHTH ) a private health insurance platform for individuals, families, and small businesses that’s been around for years. In its third-quarter results released last week, eHealth noted that membership had risen by 24% to 1.147 million from the year-ago period, clearly showing skepticism in the Obamacare health reform law suggesting the success and options its private platform offers. If there’s any company that can use Healthcare.gov’s nightmarish start to its advantage, it’s eHealth!
- [By Sean Williams]What: Shares of eHealth (NASDAQ: EHTH ) — a provider of private market online health insurance services for individuals, families, and small businesses — jumped as much as 17% after the company reported third-quarter earnings results.
- [By David Williamson]Obamacare is racking up expenses, in particular, with the creation of insurance exchanges. In this video, David Williamson looks at this feature of Obamacare, and a possible free market solution. The problem is that these exchanges are proving more expensive than originally thought, up to an estimated $5.7 billion for 2014. No wonder less than half of the states in the country have come on board. One solution is an online insurance exchange. A form of such an exchange already exists. Will it work for a nationwide insurance market? Hard to say. On the one hand, it could offer small businesses unprecedented access to insurance plans. On the other hand, an online market may simply offer those plans with the best commissions and not the best deals. (NASDAQ: EHTH )
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Amdocs Limited (DOX)
Amdocs Limited, together with its subsidiaries, provides software and services for communications, media, and entertainment industry service providers worldwide. It offers revenue management products, including convergent charging and billing, mediation, partner management, service delivery, compact convergence, and machine-to-machine solutions that manage the end-to-end network services revenue stream from offer definition to cash-in-hand and spans the consumer, business, and partner domains. The company also provides customer management products comprising multichannel selling, multichannel care, and proactive insight products that enable service providers to simplify the customer experience in all interaction channels and touch points; operations support systems, such as network planning, service fulfillment, service assurance, inventory and discovery, business service capture, network navigator, and radio parameter manager for fixed line, wireless, and cable networks; and network control products consisting of service controllers, home subscriber servers, policy controllers, data and Wi-Fi experience solutions, and intelligent diameter routing agents. In addition, it offers digital services, which include connected home solutions, mobile payments, digital commerce solutions, personalization, and unified communications and foundation. Further, the company provides advertising and media solutions that comprise sales experience, business agility, small-medium business experience, and business content and advertising syndication solutions. Additionally, it offers business consulting, system integration, information technology outsourcing and value process operation managed services, managed transformation, and product support services. Amdocs Limited was founded in 1988 and is based in St. Peter Port, Channel Islands.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Shares of Iron Mountain have fallen 2.3% to $25.72 today, while comparable have been mixed. Leidos Holdings (LDOS) has ticked up 0.6% to $46.28 and Amdocs (DOX) has risen 0.8% to $37.20. Maximus (MMS), on the other hand, has fallen 1.2% to $46.22 and Xerox (XRX) is off 0.3% to $10.62.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on Amdocs (NYSE: DOX ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: RealNetworks Inc.(RNWK)
RealNetworks, Inc. provides network-delivered digital media products and services to manage, play, and share digital media in the United States, Europe, and internationally. It develops and markets software products and services that enable the creation, distribution, and consumption of digital media, including audio and video. The company?s Core Products segment develops and provides software as a service (SaaS) services, including ring-back tone, music-on-demand, video-on-demand, and messaging services for mobile carriers; and e-commerce services, such as business intelligence, subscriber management, and billing for carrier customers. It also licenses Helix server software that allows companies and institutions to broadcast live and on-demand audio, video, and other multimedia programming to users over the Internet. In addition, this segment provides professional and systems integration services; and SuperPass, a subscription service, which provides consumers with acces s to a range of digital entertainment content. Its Emerging Products segment offers RealPlayer, a media player software, which include features and services that enable consumers to discover, play, download, manage, and edit digital video. The company?s Games segment is involved in developing, publishing, licensing, and distributing casual games, such as board, card, puzzle, word, and hidden-object games for PC?s, social networks, mobile handsets, and smartphones through digital download, online subscription play, third-party portals, social networks, and mobile devices. It distributes games principally in North America, Europe, and Latin America through the company?s own Websites, which are operated under the GameHouse, Zylom, and Atrativa brands, and through Websites owned or managed by third parties. RealNetworks, Inc. was founded in 1994 and is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
- [By Carol Hymowitz]CEOs who aren’t comfortable around technology and digital trends will have difficulty setting strategy for the future, said Dawn Lepore, former CEO of Drugstore.com and a director at AOL Inc., TJX Cos. (TJX) and RealNetworks Inc. (RNWK)
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Tetra Technologies Inc.(TTI)
TETRA Technologies, Inc. operates as a diversified oil and gas services company. The company operates in three divisions: Fluids, Production Enhancement, and Offshore. The Fluids Division manufactures and markets clear brine fluids, additives, and other associated products and services to the oil and gas industry for use in well drilling, completion, and workover operations in the United States, as well as in various countries in Latin America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa; and markets liquid and dry calcium chloride products to non-energy markets. The Production Enhancement division offers production testing services in various oil and gas basins in the United States, as well as in Mexico, Brazil, northern Africa, and the Middle East; and wellhead compression-based production enhancement services in the onshore producing regions of the United States, as well as various onshore basins in Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe, and Asia. The Offshore division pr ovides offshore services, including downhole and subsea oil and gas services, such as well plugging and abandonment, and wireline services; decommissioning and construction services utilizing heavy lift barges and various technologies for offshore oil and gas production platforms and pipelines; and conventional and saturated air diving services. It also engages in the exploration, development, and production of oil and gas properties in the offshore and onshore U.S. Gulf Coast region. This division provides its services to oil and gas companies and independent operators. The company was founded in 1981 and is headquartered in the Woodlands, Texas.
- [By Seth Jayson]When judging a company’s prospects, how quickly it turns cash outflows into cash inflows can be just as important as how much profit it’s booking in the accounting fantasy world we call “earnings.” This is one of the first metrics I check when I’m hunting for the market’s best stocks. Today, we’ll see how it applies to TETRA Technologies (NYSE: TTI ) .
- [By Monica Wolfe]Tetra Technologies (TTI)
During the second quarter Ashton upped his stake in Tetra Technologies by 91.82%. The guru purchased 71,800 shares in the second quarter price range of $8.29 to $11.21, with an estimated average price of $9.74. Since his buy the price per share has increased approximately 20.1%.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Franklin Electric Co. Inc.(FELE)
Franklin Electric Co., Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the design, manufacture, and distribution of groundwater and fuel pumping systems. It operates in two segments, Water Systems and Fueling Systems. The Water Systems segment provides motors, pumps, electronic controls, and related parts and equipment primarily for use in groundwater, wastewater, and fuel transfer applications. Its motors and pumps are used principally for pumping fresh water and wastewater in various residential, agricultural, and industrial applications. This segment also offers electronic drives and controls for the motors, which control functionality and provide protection from various hazards, such as electric surges, over-heating, or dry wells and tanks. The Fueling Systems segment provides pumps, pipe, sumps, fittings, vapor recovery components, electronic controls, monitoring devices, and related parts and equipment primarily for use in submersible fueling system applications. It also integrates and sells motors and electronic controls produced by the Water Systems segment. The company sells its products and related equipment to specialty distributors, original equipment manufacturers, industrial and petroleum equipment distributors, and oil and utility companies through its sales force and independent manufacturing representatives primarily in the United States, Europe, South Africa, Brazil, Mexico, and China. Franklin Electric Co., Inc. was founded in 1944 and is headquartered in Bluffton, Indiana.
- [By Seth Jayson]When judging a company’s prospects, how quickly it turns cash outflows into cash inflows can be just as important as how much profit it’s booking in the accounting fantasy world we call “earnings.” This is one of the first metrics I check when I’m hunting for the market’s best stocks. Today, we’ll see how it applies to Franklin Electric (Nasdaq: FELE ) .
- [By Seth Jayson]Margins matter. The more Franklin Electric (Nasdaq: FELE ) keeps of each buck it earns in revenue, the more money it has to invest in growth, fund new strategic plans, or (gasp!) distribute to shareholders. Healthy margins often separate pretenders from the best stocks in the market. That’s why we check up on margins at least once a quarter in this series. I’m looking for the absolute numbers, so I can compare them to current and potential competitors, and any trend that may tell me how strong Franklin Electric’s competitive position could be.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Microsemi Corporation(MSCC)
Microsemi Corporation engages in the design, manufacture, and marketing of analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits (IC) and semiconductors primarily in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Its products include individual components and IC solutions that offer light, sound, and power management for desktop and mobile computing platforms, LCD TVs, and other power control applications. These products are used in notebook computers, data storage, wireless local area network, LCD backlighting, LCD TVs, LCD monitors, automobiles, telecommunications, test instruments, defense and aerospace equipment, sound reproduction, and data transfer equipment. The company?s semiconductor products include silicon rectifiers, zener diodes, low leakage and high voltage diodes, temperature compensated zener diodes, transistors, subminiature high power transient suppressor diodes, and pin diodes used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also manufactures semiconductors for commer cial applications, such as automatic surge protectors, transient suppressor diodes used for telephone applications, and switching diodes used in computer systems. In addition, the company provides electronic components and systems for the defense and aerospace markets; multi-band radio frequency integrated circuit solutions; and anti-tamper solutions to defense clients in securing systems against tampering, piracy, and reverse engineering. It markets its products directly, as well as through electronic component distributors and independent sales representatives to the defense and security, aerospace, enterprise and communication, and industrial and alternative energy markets. The company was formerly known as Microsemiconductor Corporation and changed its name to Microsemi Corporation in February 1983. Microsemi Corporation was founded in 1960 and is headquartered in Aliso Viejo, California.
- [By Jake L’Ecuyer]Equities Trading DOWN
Shares of Microsemi (NASDAQ: MSCC) were down 4.18 percent to $23.16 after the company issued a downbeat Q1 outlook.
- [By Lauren Pollock]Microsemi Corp.(MSCC) agreed to pay almost $298 million to acquire Symmetricom Inc.(SYMM), a deal that will expand the power-management supplier’s exposure into the aerospace and defense industries while also immediately adding to earnings. Shares in Symmetricom soared.
- [By Seth Jayson]Calling all cash flows
When you are trying to buy the market’s best stocks, it’s worth checking up on your companies’ free cash flow once a quarter or so, to see whether it bears any relationship to the net income in the headlines. That’s what we do with this series. Today, we’re checking in on Microsemi (Nasdaq: MSCC ) , whose recent revenue and earnings are plotted below.
- [By Alex Planes]What: Shares of Microsemi (NASDAQ: MSCC ) are holding onto a 7% gain as of this writing, after opening up by over 14% following a solid earnings report that some Wall Street analysts have taken as a sign that a bottom has been reached.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Northland Power Inc (NPIFF.PK)
Northland Power Inc. (Northland) owns or has an economic interests, through its subsidiaries, in operating power-producing facilities and a pipeline of construction and development projects. Its operating assets consist of facilities, which produce electricity from natural gas and renewable sources. Its subsidiaries include Iroquois Falls Corp., which owns the Iroquois Falls Facility; Kingston LP, which owns the Kingston Facility; Thorold LP, which owns the Thorold Facility; Mont Miller LP; Jardin LP, which owns the Jardin wind farm; DK Windpark Kavelstorf GmbH & Co. KG and DK Burgerwindpark Eckolstadt GmbH & Co. KG, which own the German Wind Farms; Mont Louis LP, which owns the Mont Louis Wind Farm; Spy Hill LP, which owns the Spy Hill Facility, and North Battleford LP, which owns the North Battleford Facility. Northland owns a 19% interest in Panda Energy Corporation, which through its wholly owned subsidiaries owns the 230 mega-watts combined-cycle Panda-Brandywine facilit y. Advisors’ Opinion:
- [By Markus Aarnio]Emera’s competitors include Northland Power (NPIFF.PK), Fortis (FRTSF.PK), and Atlantic Power (AT). Northland Power has seen insider buying in August and has a dividend yield of 7.6%. Fortis has seen both insider buying and insider selling in August. Fortis has a dividend yield of 4.1%. Atlantic Power saw insider buying last time in April. Atlantic Power has a dividend yield of 9.4%.
Best Long Term Stocks To Invest In Right Now: Pike Electric Corp.(PIKE)
Pike Electric Corporation provides energy solutions for investor-owned, municipal, and co-operative utilities in the United States. The company?s services include siting, permitting, engineering, designing, planning, constructing, maintaining, and repairing power delivery systems, including renewable energy projects. Its planning and siting process leverages technology and the collection of environmental, cultural, land use, and scientific data to facilitate negotiations and permitting for powerlines, substations, pipelines, and renewable energy installations. The company also provides design, engineering, procurement and construction, owner engineer, project management, multi-entity coordination, grid integration, balance-of-plant, and thermal rate solutions for individual or turnkey powerline, substation, and renewable energy projects. In addition, it offers overhead and underground powerline construction, up gradation, and extension services for distribution networks a nd transmission lines with voltages up to 345kV, energized maintenance work for voltages up to 500kV; and substation construction and service. Further, Pike Electric Corporation provides a total energy solution platform, including preliminary studies, planning, siting and permitting, engineering and design, construction, procurement, and grid interconnection services. Additionally, it offers storm restoration services, which include the repair or reconstruction of parts of a distribution or sub-500 kV transmission network comprising substations, power lines, utility poles, or other components damaged during flash floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and snow, ice, or wind storms, as well as other natural disasters. The company was founded in 1945 and is headquartered in Mount Airy, North Carolina.
- [By Damian Illia]Finally, I always like to see one of the most important financial ratios applying to stockholders, the best measure of performance for a firm’s management: the return on equity. The ratio has decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness. Moreover, it is worse than those shown in the table like Aegion Corporation (AEGN), EnerNOC Inc. (ENOC), MYR GroupInc. (MYRG) and Pike Corporation (PIKE).
- [By Selena Maranjian]More than a handful of smart-grid-related companies had strong performances over the past year. Solar energy inverter maker Power-One (NASDAQ: PWER.DL ) , and utility contractor Pike Electric (NYSE: PIKE ) , both surged 44%. Power-One’s gain is in large part due to its being acquired, at a premium, by Switzerland-based power and automation technology giant ABB. Some have worried about inverters becoming commoditized, but others have admired Power-One’s profitability and solid balance sheet.
- [By Rebecca McClay]In earnings news today, a few companies are reporting after the closing bell, including H & R Block Inc. (NYSE: HRB), which is up about 1%. Pike Electric Corp. (NYES: PIKE), Guidewire Software Inc. (NYSE: GWRE), and Sigma Designs Inc. (Nasdaq: SIGM) are also reporting quarterly earnings late this afternoon.